Provincial plans may put your health at risk
Funding cuts impact your property taxes and lead to service reductions
The Ontario government has cut funding for paramedics and public health and plans to merge those services with other municipalities.
Respond to 1 local health emergency every 4 minutes. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Peel Public Health
- Inspects local restaurants to make sure your food is safe to eat.
- Tests local pools to make sure they are safe to swim in.
- Tracks immunizations to make sure school-aged kids are protected from dangerous diseases.
- Sends test shoppers to local stores to make sure they aren't selling tobacco to your teens.
- Tracks dangerous diseases, like measles, to make sure they don't spread
- Prevents mosquitos from hatching, so you don't risk getting West Nile Virus.
- And much more.
Email your Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP)
Say “NO” to cuts and changes that could threaten your health.
$6.1 million in funding cuts will mean you pay more property taxes
In 2019, the Ontario government is cutting:
- $4.9 million from Peel Paramedic Services.
- $1.2 million from Peel Public Health.
The Region will be forced to raise your property taxes to provide the health services you deserve, or else will have to cut services.
And that's just the beginning. The Ontario government has promised even more cuts in the future.
You will pay more but get less
The Ontario government wants to merge your public health services with 19 other towns and cities. These 19 towns and cities have different demographics and health challenges from Peel. Bigger isn't always better.
This means services that would have to:
- Support 2.7 million people today, and 4 million by 2041.
- Meet the needs of people from Caledon East to Cambridge and St. Jacobs to Streetsville.
With almost 10% of Ontario's population, Peel needs its own local paramedic and public health services. Peel is one of the fastest growing and most diverse regions in Ontario.
Separately, the Ontario government says they are looking to "integrate" paramedic services.