Your residence is changing to cart-based waste collection.
Choose your cart sizes before the deadline on the flyer delivered to your home.
Step 1 – Watch This Video
Step 2 – Choose Your Cart Sizes
- Garbage and recycling carts are available in 3 sizes: Small, Medium, and Large.
- Choose your cart sizes free of charge before the deadline on your flyer.
- For your type of residence, Small is the recommended Garbage (grey) cart size. Medium is the recommended Recycling (blue) cart size.
You'll keep using the organics (green) cart you have now.
Research and data show that switching to cart-based waste collection will bring many benefits to you and the Region.
Garbage and recycling carts:
- Are easier to wheel to the curb.
- Prevent blowing litter to keep your neighbourhood clean.
- Are pest-resistant.
Cart-based waste collection will:
- Cut the cost of waste collection services.
- Reduce of the amount of waste sent to landfill.
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions since fewer collection vehicles are on the roads.
- Leave streetscapes neater and tidier on collection day with less wind-blown litter.
Choose your cart size before the deadline
- When you're choosing your cart sizes you'll see the recommended carts for your residence.
- If you miss the cart selection deadline you'll automatically receive a Small–sized garbage cart and a Medium–sized recycling cart.
- You can choose bigger or smaller sizes if you wish.
Your carts will be delivered 3 – 6 weeks later
- The carts are free.
- The Region will deliver your carts to your home, free of charge.
- Start using your new carts as soon as you receive them.
- Keep using your green cart along with your new carts.
You can exchange a cart after 90 days (if applicable)
- Use your carts for 90 days to see how they work for your household.
- If your carts aren't meeting your waste needs, you can exchange your carts for free after 90 days. If you want to exchange your cart(s) before 90 days, a $25 fee will apply.
- Green carts are one–size only and cannot be exchanged.
Garbage carts are available in 3 sizes: Small, Medium, and Large. Small is the recommended garbage cart size for your type of residence.
Your 3 carts will accommodate most of your household waste.
The items you're putting in your recycling bags will now go in your recycling cart. Your bagged garbage will go in your garbage cart. Food waste and tissues will still go in your organics cart.
Check How to Sort Your Waste to learn where to put your waste.
The carts will let you put out about the same amount of waste and recycling as you do now.
If you have excess garbage that won't fit in your garbage cart, put it in a garbage bag and place the bag at the curb for collection.
Don't put large metal appliances at the curb. The Region no longer collects these items, and they are not considered excess waste.
Extra garbage bags must have garbage tags attached to be collected.
The Region provides exemption periods for garbage 3 times a year following Victoria Day, Labour Day, and the Christmas holidays. Garbage bag tags are not required during an exemption period.
If you have excess recycling that won't fit in your recycling cart, put it in a clear or blue see-through plastic bag and place the bag at the curb for collection.
You don't need to buy tags for excess recycling.
Excess organic waste
If you have extra organic waste that won't fit in your organics (green) cart, put it in a certified compostable bag and place the bag at the curb for collection.
You don't need to buy tags for excess organic waste.