Full-day Early Learning Cost Analysis Toolkit
This Full-day Early Learning Cost Analysis Toolkit will help you explore potential program replacements for your 4- and 5-year-olds, as these children move into the school system.
Please note that this Toolkit will only provide an estimate of cost and revenue implications. In planning any programming changes, we recommend that you complete a full business analysis.
The Toolkit is a Microsoft® Excel workbook made up of eight worksheets. When you open the file, the first worksheet describes what you’ll find in the Toolkit and instructions on how to complete it.
It will take you approximately one hour to complete.
We need to hear from you about the financial impact of the 4- and 5-year-olds moving into the school system. The information we collect will be used to show the impact the Province’s early learning plan has on the child care sector in Peel. Please take a moment to complete the feedback form
to tell us about the implications to your organization.
What You Need to Get Started
- A computer with Microsoft® Excel software (download a trial copy)
- For each of your programs for 4- and 5-year-olds:
- The total number of operating days per year
- The square footage of the impacted room
- The operating capacity of the impacted room
- For each of your centres with programs for 4- and 5-year-olds:
- The operating capacity of the centre
- The average annual salary (including employer paid benefits) for a JK or SK Early Childhood Educator (ECE) working with 4- and 5-year-olds
- Annual non-fixed operating costs for your centre(s) running program(s) for 4- and 5-year-olds. For example: operating costs such as food, playground equipment, operating supplies, etc. that will be impacted by offering a different program. The analysis does not include fixed costs such as rent, telephones, computers that will not change with the changeover of a program.
- An estimate of the capital costs involved in establishing
- An infant program
- A toddler program
- A preschool/nursery program
How to Get Started
- Double click on the Microsoft® Excel file
- Click Save As
- Save the file to your computer (you can save the file at any point through the process if you need to come back to it at a later time)
- Review the introductory information as well as the assumptions
- Enter your data for one program for 4- and 5-year-olds. An instruction box will appear to help you. To move the instruction box out of your way, click and drag the instruction box to another area of the spreadsheet.
- Enter data as indicated in the worksheets to determine estimated costs and revenue of potential program options. A summary page will show you the variance between the costs and revenue for the program options you have considered
- Use a blank Toolkit for any additional sites or program options you wish to consider
Who do I call for help?
Talk to us!
We need to hear from you about the financial implications of the removal of Junior and Senior Kindergarten programs from your child care centre(s).
This information will provide an overview to the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Children and Youth Services of the impact felt by child care operators in the Region of Peel and help shape re-stabilization plans.
Please take a few moments to provide your feedback through an anonymous survey by clicking the applicable button:
[ Full-day Early Learning Home ]
[ Top ]
Thursday February 03 2011