Becoming a Regional Chair Candidate

The Regional Municipality of Peel accepts nominations only for the Office of the Regional Chair. The nomination period begins on May 1, 2018.

For information on becoming a candidate for mayor, councillor, regional councillor or school board trustee, visit:

Other information

Please fill out the following forms. The forms must be signed at the time of submission in front of the Regional Clerk.

For more information, please refer to 2018 Candidates' guide for Ontario municipal council and school board elections

These forms are also available at the Regional Clerk's Office at:

Region of Peel
5th Floor, Suite A, 10 Peel Centre Drive
Brampton, ON, L6T 4B9

Completing and submitting your nomination package

The deadline for submitting a nomination package is July 27 at 2 p.m.

If you're submitting your nomination package on July 27, be aware that:

  • The Regional Clerk will NOT accept nomination packages after 2 p.m.
  • You must have the required original documents at the time of filing your nomination papers. Photocopies will NOT BE ACCEPTED.

Your nomination package must include:

  • Your completed, but not signed, nomination form (Form 1). This form will be commissioned by a Commissioner of Oaths at the Clerk's office.
  • The original signatures of 25 or more eligible voters who support your nomination (Form 2).
  • A filled-out Declaration of Qualification Form.
  • A Consent to Release Personal Information Form.
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship, age and Peel residency in a form that is acceptable to the Regional Clerk.

As a candidate it is your responsibility to file an authentic (bona fide) nomination paper.

You must provide proof of your Canadian citizenship, age, and residency at the same time you submit your nomination package.

Required proof of citizenship documents

Provide the original version of one of these documents to prove your Canadian citizenship:

  • Canadian passport
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • Canadian citizenship certificate
  • Canadian citizenship card
Required proof of age documents

Provide the original version of one of these documents to prove your age:

  • Canadian passport
  • Canadian birth certificate
  • An Ontario driver's licence
  • An Ontario Health Card (OHIP) photo card
Required proof of residence documents

Provide the orignal version of one of these documents to prove your residency:

  • Ontario driver's licence
  • Ontario motor vehicle permit (vehicle portion)
  • Cancelled personalized cheque (with address on it)
  • Mortgage statement, lease or rental agreement relating to property in Ontario
  • Insurance policy or insurance statement
  • Loan agreement or other financial agreement with a financial institution
  • Any document issued or certified by a court in Ontario
  • Any other document from the government of Canada, Ontario or a municipality in Ontario or from an agency of such a government
  • Any document from a Band Council in Ontario established under the Indian Act (Canada)
  • Income tax assessment notice
  • Child Tax Benefit statement
  • Employment Insurance Benefits Paid T4E statement
  • Old Age Security T4A (OAS) statement
  • Canada Pension Plan Benefits T4A (P) statement
  • Canada Pension Plan Statement of Contributions
  • Direct deposit for Ontario Works statement
  • Direct deposit for Ontario Disability Support Program statement
  • Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Statement of Benefits T5007
  • Property tax assessment
  • Credit card statement, bank account statement, or RRSP, RRIF, RHOSP or T5 statement
  • CNIB Card or a card from another registered charitable organization that provides services to persons with disabilities
  • Hospital card or record
  • A document showing campus residence, issued by the office or officials responsible for student residence at a post-secondary institution
  • A document showing residence at a long-term care home under the Long-Term Care Homes Act, 2007, issued by the Administrator for the home
  • Utility bill for hydro, water, gas, telephone or cable TV or a bill from a public utilities commission
  • Cheque stub, T4 statement or pay receipt issued by an employer
  • Recent transcript or report card from a post-secondary school
Nomination fee

The fee for filing a nomination form for the Regional Chair is $200 and must be paid by cash, debit or credit card (Visa or MasterCard), certified cheque, or money order payable to the Regional Municipality of Peel.

How to file

You can file your Peel Regional Chair nomination form in-person. The Region will not accept faxed or electronic submissions.

The Regional Clerk will accept nomination packages:

  • May 1 – July 26, 2018, 8:30 a.m. – 4: 30 p.m.
  • July 27, 2018, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. (Nomination Day)

Deliver your nomination package in person to:

The Regional Clerk's Office
5th Floor, Suite A, 10 Peel Centre Drive
Brampton, ON, L6T 4B9

Before filing, be sure that your nomination package is complete. Incomplete documents will not be accepted.

Withdrawing your nomination

To withdraw your nomination you must notify the Peel Regional Clerk in writing by 2 p.m. on July 27, 2018.

Withdrawal of Nomination Form (PDF)

If you withdraw, you still must file a campaign financial statement covering all the financial transactions you made during your campaign.

The Clerk will refund your nomination fee if you file your campaign financial statement by the filing deadline. You must file a financial statement even if you don't accept any contributions or incur any expenses.

Recommended resources

Get Additional information for candidates regarding Regional demographics, boundaries, facilities and more.


Any person who is a resident of Ontario may make a contribution to your Regional Chair campaign.

A contributor may contribute a maximum of $1,200 to your campaign. This includes the value of any goods or services donated to your campaign. A contributor may not contribute more than $5,000 in total to candidates running for offices on the same council or school board.

If you buy a ticket to a candidate's fundraiser, the cost of the ticket is a contribution.

Groups such as neighbourhood associations, clubs or professional associations, such as fire or police associations, are not eligible to make contributions. Members may contribute individually.

Any contribution of money must come directly from your contributor. You are not allowed to pool contributions from contributors and then forward that money to your campaign. If a contribution is made from a joint account, it must be clear which person is making the contribution.

Contribution Amount

All contributions greater than $25 must be made by cheque, money order, or by a method that clearly shows where the funds came from.

If an individual's contribution to your campaign is greater than $100, the individual's name and address must be recorded in your financial statement.

Surplus at the end of your campaign

Candidates with a surplus at the end of their campaigns must turn that money over to the municipality. They are not allowed to return unused contributions to contributors.

Third party advertising

A third party advertisement is a paid message that supports or opposes a candidate.

A third party advertiser is any individual, corporation or trade union that contributes to the production of, or buys space for, the ad.

All third party advertisers must register with the local area municipality where they plan to advertise. If a third party advertiser for a Regional Chair candidate plans to advertise in 3 municipalities in Peel, the advertiser must register in all 3 municipalities.

Third party advertisements can appear in or on any medium, such as billboards, newspaper, or radio.

Third party advertising does not apply to:

  • Messaging that doesn’t cost money to post or broadcast, such as tweets or Facebook postings.
  • Issues-based advertising. Groups that do public outreach can continue their issues-based advocacy work throughout the municipal election period.

2018 Guide for third party advertisers

Financial records and statements

Candidates for Regional Chair must open a separate bank account for all campaign spending.

Consider consulting with an auditor or an accountant early in your campaign to make sure the bookkeeping and accounting system you’re using will suit your needs.

You will be required to file these forms:

Learn more about campaign finance and record keeping.

Election signs

The Municipal Elections Act, 1996, does not regulate signs.

Candidates must ensure that campaign signs are removed after voting day. Your municipality may have penalties for failing to remove your signs. You should contact your local clerk for more information.

For more information on election sign policies, placement and enforcement, visit your municipality election website:

General requirements and disqualification

You can run for Regional Chair if you:

  • Live in Peel, or you or your spouse own land in Peel,
  • Are at least 18 years old, and
  • Are a Canadian citizen.

You must meet ALL of these requirements to run for Chair.

You cannot run for Regional Chair if:

  • You're a judge.
  • You're a Region of Peel employee.
  • You are the clerk, treasurer, Integrity Commissioner, Auditor General, Ombudsman or a registrar for lobbying matters.
  • You're an investigator who has the function to investigate in an independent manner.
  • You're a member of the Assembly in the House of Commons or the Senate.

Once elected, you cannot hold the position of Regional Chair if, during the term of office:

  • You're no longer a Canadian citizen.
  • You no longer live in Peel.
  • You (or your spouse) no longer own land in Peel.

Find more information on the Municipal Act, 2001:

Section 223.11: Registrar for lobbying matters

Section 239.2: Investigator

Main responsibilities

The Chair is the Chief Executive Officer of the municipal corporation and acts as head of Regional Council. The Chair:

  • Acts as Chief Executive Officer of the municipality.
  • Provides leadership to Council.
  • Represents the municipality at official functions, and
  • Carries out the duties of the head of Council under the Municipal Act, 2001.

The Regional Chair is the Presiding Officer at meetings of Council. At council meetings, the Regional Chair:

  • Calls the members to order, calls the roll, announces the business before Council and conducts the meeting in accordance with the Rules of Procedure.
  • Enforces the Rules of Procedure.
  • Preserves order and decides points of order.
  • Presides over all in camera matters.
  • Expels or excludes from any meeting any person who has been determined to be guilty of improper conduct at the meeting.

When it isn't possible to maintain order, the Chair may, without any motion being put, adjourn the meeting to a time decided upon by the Chair.

Other responsibilities

Other duties of the Regional Chair include:

  • Authenticating, by signature, all by-laws, resolutions, and minutes of Council.
  • Calling upon the Council Section Chair to preside over their respective Council section.
  • Receiving and putting to a vote all motions, resolutions and by-laws presented by the members of Council
  • Announcing the result when this function is not performed by a Section Chair or Vice-Chair; and
  • Declaring a state of emergency in emergency situations.
  • Acting as an official signing officer for the Corporation.
  • Representing the Region in dealings with other levels of government.
  • Acting as spokesperson for the Region in matters of policy and public issues.
  • Acting as the official representative of the Region in greeting visiting dignitaries, either in a ceremonial capacity or investigating business opportunities.

Nomination period
May 1 - July 26 (8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.)
July 27, 2018 (9 a.m. - 2 p.m.)

Election Day
October 22, 2018 (10 a.m. - 8 p.m.)

End of 2014-2018 Term of Council
November 30, 2018

Inaugural Meeting
December 6, 2018

End of Campaign Period
December 31, 2018

End of 2018-2022 Term of Council
November 14, 2022

Get additional information for candidates including election manuals, courses and Regional facilities and maps.