Choosing a Healthy Breakfast Cereal
What is a whole grain?
- Whole grain cereals are made with all
three parts of the grain kernel: the bran, germ, and endosperm.
- Look for the words "whole" or "whole grain" on the list of ingredients
- Oatmeal and barley are whole grains
- Wheat bran, corn bran, and oat bran
are not whole grains but are still healthy
Myths about whole grains
- Colour is not an indication of whole
grain. Cereal like Cheerios® is
whole grain but not dark brown.
- Products labelled with the words,
wheat", "organic" may
actually contain little or no whole
Low in Sugar
- Make sure the first ingredient on
the list is whole grain or bran, not
- For added sweetness, offer your children
fruit to put on top, such as berries,
sliced banana or peaches
Fibre - Two or more grams
The Nutrition label on the side of the
box indicates the amount of fibre per
serving of the product.
- 2 grams of fibre per serving is "a
source of fibre"
- 4 grams of fibre per serving is a
- 6 grams of fibre per serving is a
"very high source"
[ top ]
Health Topics A-Z | Information for Professionals | Information for Workplaces
| School Corner | Employment/Volunteer Opportunities | Clinics, Classes and Events | Resources & Factsheets | Translated Information | About Public Health
| Contact Us | Public Health Home Page
April 22, 2009