Campylobacter bacteria can cause a type of food poisoning called campylobacteriosis.
You could get campylobacteriosis from eating or drinking contaminated food or drinks, from contact with infected infants, and from contact with pets and farm animals.
What are the common food sources?
- Raw or undercooked poultry (e.g., chicken, turkey, duck)
- Unpasteurized milk and milk products (e.g., cheese)
- Contaminated water
What are the symptoms and health effects?
You may develop these symptoms two to five days after you are exposed to campylobacter bacteria, and they could last for two to 10 days:
- Stomach cramps
- Nausea and/or vomiting
- Diarrhea (sometimes bloody)
What should I do if I have it?
Drink lots of fluids and get lots of rest.
See a doctor if your symptoms are severe. You may need antibiotic treatment.
How can I protect myself?
- Avoid unpasteurized milk and milk products.
- Drink only from safe drinking water sources.
- Clean your hands with hot water and soap, especially after touching pets and raw meat.
- Separate raw meat from other food.
- Heat meat (especially poultry) to proper temperatures while cooking. Use a food thermometer.