Last Reviewed: April 2017
Important signs to watch for if you are pregnant
- Bad cramps or stomach pains that don't go away.
- Bleeding or a trickle or gush of fluid from your vagina.
- Lower back pain/pressure or change in lower back pain.
- A feeling that the baby is pushing down.
- Contractions or change in the strength or number of them.
- An increase in the amount of vaginal discharge.
- Fever, chills, dizziness, vomiting or a bad headache.
- Blurry vision or spots before your eyes.
- Sudden or severe swelling of your feet, hand or face.
- A significant change in your baby's movements.
Go to a hospital right away and contact your doctor/midwife if you have any of these symptoms.
Adapted with permission from:
Best Start: Ontario's Maternal Newborn and Early Child Development Resource Centre
During pregnancy some foods that contain caffeine, like coffee should be limited and others, like cheeses, such as feta or brie may cause you or your baby to develop a disease called listeriosis.
You may think that herbal teas are harmless because they are natural, but not all herbal teas are safe to drink during pregnancy. In this section you will learn how caffeine can affect your baby, what foods you should avoid in pregnancy and what herbal teas are safe to drink.