2. Establish a Workplace Health Committee
Forming a workplace health committee will provide the direction and leadership to effectively impact employee wellness. When forming the committee:
- Attract members from various departments and areas of responsibility (i.e. HR, Health and Safety, Disability Management, Finance, Union/Employee Association).
- Use existing resources to obtain information (OH & S committee, HR staff, Insurance carrier).
- Ensure the team understands the Comprehensive Approach to workplace health (Personal Health Practices, Organizational Culture, Occupational Health and Safety).
In addition to developing / planning, implementing and evaluating a workplace health initiative, the committee should pay special attention to:
- Establishing member roles, responsibilities, and project timelines.
- Developing a business case to provide a framework for accountability and to maintain leadership support.
- Establishing a process for recruiting new committee members.
- Ensuring all employees have input into the program.
- Promoting employee participation.
- Providing clear communication on all aspects of the program.
6 Steps To a Healthier Organization