A-Z List | Accessible Info | Careers | Contact Us

 
Images from Peel Region
HomeApply for Social HousingPeel LivingHousing Initiatives and ResourcesInformation for Housing ProvidersPeelBuilds.caContact Us
  Fact Sheets

Non-Profit Housing Information

What is Non-Profit housing? 

  • Non-profit housing is a form of publicly-funded rental housing.
  • There are two basic types of non-profit housing providers or building owners: Municipal non-profit housing corporations which are controlled by local governments, and
  • Private non-profit housing corporations which are owned by community groups such as service clubs, ethnic organizations, faith groups, unions, or advocates for people with disabilities.
  • Non-profit housing operates on a not-for-profit basis. It is funded through tenants' rents with subsidies from various government programs.
  • All non-profit housing providers are overseen by a volunteer Board of Directors, and managed by professional staff. Management of private community sector non-profits is often handled by property management companies that specialize in non-profit housing.
  • Non-profit housing is like co-operative housing but there is no tenant participation in management or other volunteer duties required of residents.

Non-Profit Housing in Peel

  • In the Region of Peel there are more than 30 private non-profit housing providers, accounting for over 3,500 units.
  • Peel Living is the local municipal non-profit housing provider with more than 70 buildings and over 7,100 units.

Who can live in a non-profit housing building?

  • Anyone can apply to live in a non-profit housing building. People of all backgrounds and cultures – young and old, married or single with or without children – live in non-profit housing buildings.
  • Non-profits also provide homes for people who require special needs housing.

How much does it cost?

  • Like any rental building each household pays a monthly rent. Some households pay the going market rate and other households pay a subsidized rent that is based on their income.
  • Market rents are based on normal market rental charges in similar private rental units.
  • A portion of tenants in non-profit housing pay rents determined by their incomes (known as rent-geared-to-income or RGI housing) and the remaining portion pay market level rents.
  • Rent levels for RGI units are set at 30% of the tenant’s income.
  • In Peel’s social housing approximately 65% of tenants pay rents geared to their incomes and the remaining 35% pay market level rents. This mix of RGI and market level units better integrates properties into their neighbourhoods.

How do I apply?

  • Non-profit housing providers accept both subsidized and market rent tenants. Each non-profit markets its own market rent units but all applications for subsidized housing are made through Peel Access to Housing (PATH).
  • All applications made to PATH for subsidized (or rent-geared-to-income assistance - RGI) are placed on the Centralized Waiting List in accordance with HSA regulations.
  • All non-profit housing projects accept subsidized RGI tenants from the Centralized Waiting List administered by PATH.
  • You may select one or more building locations on the PATH Building Selection Sheet.
  • Most market unit and accessible unit tenants are accepted through waiting lists maintained by the individual non-profit housing providers.
  • For more information about applying for non-profit housing, please contact PATH at 905-453-1300, visit the PATH Website, or send PATH an e-mail at: peelaccesstohousing@peelregion.ca .

Revised: Thursday February 09 2012

www.peelregion.ca

Home | Contact Us | Search | A-Z Topic List
Privacy & Terms of Use | Service Commitment

Smaller Text Larger Text