For Immediate Release
August 31, 2001
Waste Collection and Processing
Region of Peel
905-791-7800, Ext. 4541
Clear Out Your Household Clutter
Fall Environment Days Coming to Brampton and Caledon
(Brampton) - On Saturday, September 8 and Saturday, September 22, the Region of Peel will hold its annual fall Environment Day events at the Brampton Recycling Depot, the Bolton Community Recycling Centre and the Caledon Public Waste and Recycling Depot.
"Environment Days offer residents an opportunity to donate, recycle or dispose of items that are taking up precious space in their homes. By dropping off large recyclable goods, reusable household items and household hazardous waste for recycling and safe disposal, residents help the environment and contribute to diverting significant amounts of material from the Region's landfills," said Ben Shepherd, Manager of Waste Collection and Processing.
Among the goods collected free of charge at Environment Day events are:
- Household hazardous waste - paint, oil, household cleaners, batteries
- Old tires - limit of six
- Wood waste - lumber, small stumps and limbs (NO railway ties)
- Scrap metal
- Used electronic equipment (NO TVs)
- Reusable goods for donation to Caledon Community Services and Salvation Army - books, clothing, small appliances
"We're trying to make recycling a way of life for all residents in the Region," said Andrew Pollock, Director of Waste Management for the Region of Peel. "Convenience is a key factor in making this happen. By providing one-stop locations offering several recycling services, we hope to draw many participants from the community."
More than 6,000 residents participated in the Region's spring Environment Day events at the Brampton Recycling Depot, the Bolton Community Recycling Centre and the Caledon Public Waste and Recycling Depot.
In addition to dropping off their reusables, recyclables and household hazardous waste, residents can:
- Donate a non-perishable food item and receive two free bags of compost for the garden (limit two bags per car)
- Trade in a damaged blue or grey box for a new one, replace a lost or stolen blue or grey box for free, or get a second blue or grey box (quantities are limited)
- Purchase backyard composters for only $17.25
For more information, please visit the Region of Peel's Web site at www.region.peel.on.ca
or call the WASTELINE, 905-791-9499. For long-distance areas in Caledon, call 905-584-2216, free of charge, and ask for the WASTELINE.
Communication Services, 10 Peel Centre Dr., Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Phone: 905-791-7800, Fax: 905-791-0595 , e-mail
Web site: http://www.region.peel.on.ca
| Home | News Releases | Corporate Overview | Regional Departments |
| Regional Council | Maps | Search |