For Immediate Release
May 9, 2001
Region of Peel
905-791-7800, Ext. 4541
SPRING ENVIRONMENT DAY IN BRAMPTON IS COMING
(Brampton) - On Saturday, May 12, 2001, Peel residents are invited to take part in the Region of Peel's annual Spring Environment Day. This year's event will be held at the Brampton Centre for Sports and Entertainment, 7575 Kennedy Rd. S., from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Environment Day is an opportunity for residents to help the environment by dropping off large recyclable goods, reusable items and household hazardous waste for recycling and proper disposal.
"This is a great opportunity for residents of Peel to get rid of all that excess material they have no need for," said Dwayne Cromwell, Supervisor, Waste Processing. "Many residents are moving, renovating, and spring cleaning this time of year, and it's likely they'll want to get rid of reusable and recyclable materials."
Among the goods collected at Environment Day are:
- Household hazardous waste (paint, oil, household cleaners, batteries)
- Scrap metal and wood (lumber, small stumps and limbs)
- Old tires, to a maximum of six (no heavy truck or tractor tires)
- Electronic equipment (phones, electronic games, computers, no TVs)
- Reusable goods for donation (books, clothing, small appliances)
"Environment Day is the perfect time to dispose of items that are taking up space in a backyard or basement. If items are in good condition, they will be donated to Goodwill," said Cromwell.
"By providing several recycling services on the same day at a single location, residents can recycle easily and conveniently," said Cromwell. "Environment Days are also an excellent opportunity for staff to answer questions from the public about current waste management programs and distribute information about other Regional waste management initiatives."
Residents will be able to:
- Donate a non-perishable food item to Foodpath and receive two free bags of compost for their garden (limit two bags per car)
- Bring in a damaged Blue or Grey Box for a new one, replace your lost or stolen Blue or Grey Box for free, or get a second Blue or Grey Box (quantities are limited)
- Purchase a backyard composter (BYC) for only $17.25
- Purchase outdoor water kits for only $25.00
All recycling facilities, including the Britannia Public Works and Recycling Depot, Brampton Recycling Depot, Bolton Community Recycling Centre and the Caledon Public Waste and Recycling Depot, will be accepting recyclable materials, yard waste and household hazardous waste, free-of-charge. Residents can also pick up composters, Blue Boxes, Grey Boxes and garden compost at these locations.
For more information, please visit the Region of Peel's Web site at www.region.peel.on.ca, or call the WASTELINE, 905-791-9499. For long distance areas in Caledon, call 905-584-2216, toll free, and ask for the WASTELINE.
-30-Communication Services, 10 Peel Centre Dr., Brampton, ON L6T 4B9
Phone: 905-791-7800, Fax: 905-791-0595 , e-mail
| Home | News Releases | Corporate Overview | Regional Departments |
| Regional Council | Maps | Search |