Biweekly Summer Yard Waste Collection Starts July 5 - Brampton and Mississauga
BRAMPTON, ON. (June 28, 2010) Ė Starting July 5, 2010, the Region of Peel will collect yard waste every other week in Brampton and Mississauga during the months of July, August and September.
Brampton and Mississauga residents who receive curbside waste collection services can find their summer yard waste schedule and calendar on page 6 of their 2010/2011 Waste Management Guide, which was delivered to all households in March. The schedule and calendar are also available at www.peelregion.ca/waste.
Residents who use the services of a lawn maintenance company should inform them of the summer yard waste schedule so the company can co-ordinate the timing of their service delivery to ensure yard waste is only set out on scheduled yard waste collection days.
Residents can reduce yard waste by taking these steps:
- Put grass clippings in backyard composters.
- Donít over-water the lawn. A healthy lawn only requires half an inch of water (including rainfall), twice per week, to stay healthy.
- Leave grass clippings on the lawn to return water and nutrients to the soil. Grass clippings are a nitrogen fertilizer and when they decompose, they release nutrients back into the lawn.
Mulching grass is a simple and convenient way to reduce yard waste. Guidelines for mulching grass include:
- Mow high. The ideal grass height is 5 to 7.5 centimetres (2 to 3 inches).
- Keep mower blades sharp.
- Mow when the grass is dry.
- Use any kind of mower. It isnít necessary to use a mulching mower, although the smaller clippings produced by a mulching mower will decompose more quickly.
When setting yard waste at the curb, place yard waste in labelled, open, rigid and reusable containers; bushel baskets; or paper yard waste bags.
Yard waste can also be dropped off at the Regionís Community Recycling Centres. A $2 flat rate applies for loads up to and including 25 kilograms (55 pounds). A fee of 8Ę per kilogram applies for loads greater than 25 kilograms. Community Recycling Centre locations are listed on page 25 of the Guide and at www.peelregion.ca/waste.
Weekly yard waste collection will resume Oct. 4, 2010.
The Region of Peel provides waste management services in the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga and in the Town of Caledon.† For more information on these programs call the Region of Peel at 905-791-9499 or in long-distance areas of Caledon call 905-584-2216, free of charge. Visit www.peelregion.ca/waste.