Weekly Yard Waste Collection Resumes April 2 in Brampton and Mississauga
BRAMPTON, ON. (March 26, 2012) – The Region of Peel’s yard waste collection services resume April 2, 2012 in the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga.
Yard waste will be collected weekly on regularly scheduled waste collection days in April, May, June, October and November. Yard waste will be collected every other week in July, August and September.
Residents can find their summer yard waste collection schedule in the 2012/2013 Waste Management Guide that was delivered in mid-March to all households that receive curbside waste collection, at peelregion.ca/waste or by calling 905-791-9499.
Residents are asked to follow these steps when putting yard waste at the curb for collection:
- Place yard waste in labelled, open, rigid and reusable containers; bushel baskets; or paper yard waste bags
- Set out yard waste and recyclable material on the opposite side of the driveway from garbage, if possible
- Tie brush securely in bundles up to 1.2 m (4 ft.) in length and 76 cm (30 in.) in width, weighing no more than 20 kg (44 lbs.)
- Brush and tree trimmings must be 10 cm (4 in.) or less in diameter
- Leaves, garden trimmings, plants, grass clippings, twigs, branches and lawn edgings (earth removed) can be set out as yard waste
- Fruits and vegetables from the garden should be placed in backyard composters or set out as yard waste
- Shredded paper should be placed loose in yard waste containers or green bins
- Do not use plastic bags, cardboard boxes, green bins or blue boxes for yard waste
- Do not include stumps, soil, sod or stones with yard waste
Stumps, soil, sod and stones can be taken to any of Peel’s Community Recycling Centres (CRCs) for disposal – drop-off fees apply. Residents can find CRC operating hours and locations in their Waste Management Guide or online.
The Region of Peel provides waste management services in the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga and in the Town of Caledon. For more information on these programs, call the Region of Peel at 905-791-9499 (or in long-distance areas of Caledon call 905-584-2216, free of charge) or visit peelregion.ca/waste.
Follow Public Works on Twitter at twitter.com/peelpublicworks.