Photo-op with Regional Council members and original Lakeview Water Treatment staff for a ceremonial photo celebrating the 60th anniversary of the Lakeview Water Treatment Plant.
Photographers – Dignitaries, original staff and artefacts from the first water treatment plant will allow interested media to take photographs as part of the celebration event.
Regional Chair Emil Kolb, Chief Executive Officer David Szwarc, Councillor Jim Tovey, Members of Council and original Lakeview staff will be available. Peel staff will be on site for questions.
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
4 – 4:45 p.m.
2nd Floor Boardroom
Lakeview Water Treatment Plant
920 East Avenue, Mississauga
The Lakeview Water Treatment Plant first produced drinking water for the residents of Toronto Township (Mississauga) on April 10, 1953. It was originally constructed as a conventional treatment plant using chlorine disinfection with a capacity of 14 mega litres per day. In recent years, Peel Region has moved to advanced water treatment technology at its facilities. The use of new more space efficient treatment processes such as membrane filtration, ozone and UV disinfection have allowed large facility expansions to the current capacity of 820 mega litres per day without developing beyond the existing plant property. When its capital expansion program is complete in 2015, the Lakeview Water Treatment Plant will be one of the largest in Canada and one of the most advanced in the world providing clean, safe drinking water to more than 1.5 million residents in the Region of Peel and the Region of York.
The Regional Municipality of Peel was incorporated in 1974 on the principle that certain community and infrastructure services are most cost-effectively administered over a larger geographic area. The Region of Peel serves more than one million residents in the Cities of Mississauga and Brampton and the Town of Caledon.