BRAMPTON, ON (Jan. 22, 2015) The Region of Peel recently launched a campaign to inform residents about upcoming changes to waste collection. Beginning January 4, 2016, Peel residents who currently receive curbside collection services will be moving to bi-weekly, cart-based collection which means:
- Garbage and recycling will be picked up every other week (one week garbage, the next week recycling) but organics will continue to be picked up weekly;
- Residents will be required to use carts (rather than bags and bins) for their waste.
"We're pleased to be evolving waste collection in Peel," says Dan Labrecque, Commissioner, Public Works. "The upcoming changes bring with them a number of important benefits. Carts make it easier for residents to get their waste to the curb, they prevent windblown litter and the organics cart has a special lock to keep raccoons out. We’re also helping the environment by having less waste go to landfill and having fewer trucks on the road."
Although the actual changes will begin in January 2016, residents have the opportunity to learn more and choose their cart sizes by going to peelregion.ca/carts. The majority of homes will receive three new carts, free of charge. The garbage and recycling carts come in three sizes: small, medium and large. The organics cart comes in one size only. The deadline for residents to select a cart size that best suits their needs is March 31, 2015.
At peelregion.ca/carts residents can learn about the carts and bi-weekly waste collection including an introductory video that takes them step-by-step through the changes. They can then enter their address, view the cart sizes recommended for their housing type, and make changes to the size of the recycling or garbage carts they will be receiving if they wish.
Residents who want to see the carts in person are invited to attend one of the more than 25 Open Houses being held at locations across Peel. The complete list of Open Houses can be found by going to www.peelregion.ca/carts and clicking on the "Cart Display Locations" tab.
- Deadline for selecting garbage and recycling cart sizes is March 31, 2015.
- Carts will be delivered to residents’ homes from September through December of 2015.
- Residents need to start using carts the week of January 4, 2016.