The Region of Peel to Host Grand Opening of the Heart Lake Community Recycling Centre
Brampton, ON (April 16, 2015) - The Region of Peel invites residents of the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga and the Town of Caledon to the grand opening of the Heart Lake Community Recycling Centre (CRC) on Saturday April 18, 2015.
“Heart Lake is the sixth Community Recycling Centre in the Region of Peel and offers residents an opportunity to conveniently drop off items for reuse, materials for recycling and household hazardous waste for proper and safe disposal,” remarks Larry Conrad, Manager, Waste Operations. “CRCs are also a convenient drop off point for residents and businesses that need to dispose of any excess garbage that remains after they have practiced waste reduction and recycling behaviours.”
The grand opening’s event schedule is:
10:30 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Opening ceremony, ribbon cutting and remarks presented by:
- Frank Dale, Regional Chair, Region of Peel
- Linda Jeffrey, Mayor of Brampton
- Allan Thompson, Mayor of Caledon
- Dan Labrecque, Commissioner of Public Works, Region of Peel
- Larry Conrad, Manager of Waste Operations, Region of Peel
11:15 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- light snacks and refreshments available
- Region of Peel Waste Management information displays and materials
All disposal fees will be waived at the Heart Lake CRC on Saturday, April 18 for Peel residents.
The Heart Lake CRC sits on 2.73 ha of property which is approximately the equivalent of 5 football fields. The site was constructed over a two-year period and includes:
- a reusable goods and household hazardous waste drop off area,
- elevated recycling and disposal platforms,
- a green roof covered in plants and set-up for future installation of solar panels, and;
- a geothermal heating and cooling system
“The services available at our CRCs help to reduce the negative impacts of waste which is an important piece of the Region’s long-term waste management strategy,” adds Dan Labrecque, Commissioner, Public Works. “When residents and business owners use a CRC to properly dispose of materials that are recyclable, hazardous, reusable or unacceptable for curbside collection - rather than throwing them in the garbage - we see less avoidable waste sent to landfill, which is good for the environment.”
The Region of Peel provides waste management services in the Cities of Brampton and Mississauga and in the Town of Caledon. For more information on these programs, call the Region of Peel at 905-791-9499 (or in long-distance areas of Caledon call 905-584-2216, free of charge) or visit peelregion.ca/waste.
Follow Public Works on Twitter at twitter.com/peelpublicworks