The Region of Peel invites applications from members of the public who are interested in serving as a volunteer on the Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC). Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply, and under the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2001 (ODA) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA), individuals with disabilities will comprise a majority of the membership of the Advisory Committee.
The mandate of the Region of Peel Accessibility Advisory Committee is as follows:
- To advise Regional Council on ways to improve opportunities for persons with disabilities through the identification and removal of barriers with respect to programs and services delivered by the Region of Peel.
- To advise Regional Council on the requirements and implementation of the Accessibility Standards under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) and the preparation of accessibility compliance reports.
- To advise Regional Council each year on the preparation, implementation and effectiveness of the Region’s Accessibility Plan.
- To review in a timely manner site plans and drawings described in section 41 of the Planning Act; and
- To perform all other functions specified in the ODA, AODA, regulations and any other applicable legislation, by-laws, policies or procedures.
An applicant from the community must be:
- a qualified elector of Peel Region pursuant to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (a Canadian Citizen, 18 years of age or older and a resident/tenant or owner of land in the Region of Peel), or;
- a qualified elector in Ontario that represents a group or organization that acts on behalf of persons with disabilities that reside in the Region of Peel;
- not an elected official of Regional Council or of the Council of an area municipality;
- not an employee of the Region of Peel or its area municipalities;
- available to attend AAC meetings held approximately 6 times a year, and any subcommittee meetings they are appointed to.
Submission of Resume:
If you wish to be considered for an appointment to the Accessibility Advisory Committee, please submit your resume, along with a letter of interest/cover letter. Your letter of interest should state your reason for applying and why you would be considered a good candidate for the Committee (previous experience on a Committee or working with persons with disabilities would be an asset).
Resumes will be accepted by mail, fax, e-mail, or in person by the undersigned until 4:30 p.m. on Friday, October 24, 2014. For further information, please contact the Office of the Regional Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 905-791-7800, Ext. 4697. Selected applicants will be invited to attend an interview.
Director of Clerk’s and Regional Clerk
10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite A, 5th Fl.
Brampton ON L6T 4B9
Tuesday October 14 2014