Peel Youth Village - Charter of Rights and Responsibilities
Who We Are
Peel Youth Village is a semi-independent housing, recreational, education and training facility for young adults between 16 and 30 years of age. We provide short term transitional housing for up to 48 youths who will participate in programs tailored to meet their needs.
Our occupants sign a 6-month Occupancy Agreement. If the Region of Peel staff and YMCA staff agree that additional time is required, our occupants may stay with us for a longer period of time, up to a maximum of 364 days.
In order to provide a safe, productive and enjoyable environment for everyone at Peel Youth Village, everyone (staff and occupants) is expected to know and follow the Charter.
The Charter provides rights, responsibilities and expectations for both staff and occupants.
Your RIGHTS as an Occupant and what you can expect from us:
- You have the right to privacy and confidentiality
- You have the right to access appropriate services and facilities to empower you to achieve your goals and assist your efforts towards social and economic independence
- You have the right to freedom of choice
Well Maintained and Safe Environment
- You have the right to enjoy safe, well maintained and secure facilities and accommodations
- You have the right to equality of opportunity
- You have the right to be treated as an individual with individual needs and aspirations
- You have the right not to be treated in a judgemental or patronising way
- You have the right to dignity and respect
- You have the right to be treated with respect, courtesy and dignity at all times, by staff, visitors and other service users alike
- You have the right to have your personal beliefs and life choices considered when Peel Living makes decisions that affect you
- You have the right to be consulted and heard on matters that directly affect you
- You have the right to complain or comment on the services using the appropriate procedures
Important: For your safety and the safety of others, Peel Youth Village reserves the right to access occupants' rooms in emergency situations or when deemed necessary for the safety of others.
Your RESPONSIBILITIES as an Occupant and our expectations of you:
- Work towards the realization of your goals, self-empowerment and independence, with the support of the staff
- Regular attendance at meetings with your case manager
- Participation in Floor, Governance and Occupant meetings is strongly encouraged
- Treat all persons with courtesy, dignity and respect at all times
- To be non-judgemental and non-discriminatory towards others
- Respect and follow all the Peel Youth Village Occupant Guidelines, House Rules and the Law
- Make sure that your guests and visitors follow all the Peel Youth Village Occupant Guidelines, House Rules and the Law when they visit you
- Inform Peel Youth Village staff of changes in your personal circumstances, particularly employment, education, benefits
- Inform Peel Youth Village staff if you are unable or unwilling to participate and comply with the terms and conditions of the Charter or your Occupancy Agreement, which may result in discharge from the Program and termination of the Occupancy Agreement.
- Inform Peel Youth Village staff of any concerns or complaints that you have about the services you are offered through or from Peel Youth Village
- Make decisions about your personal circumstances
- Aim to live independently of others before moving out of Peel Youth Village to a permanent accommodation
- Seek and secure alternative/progressive accommodation for the longer term, using the resources and assistance provided by Peel Youth Village
Important: Peel Youth Village staff reserve the right to suspend or terminate housing access for failure to comply with the Charter and the Occupancy Agreement
By signing this Charter, both parties agree to act in accordance with the Charter: