A-Z List | Accessible Info | Careers | Contact Us

Images from Peel Region
Receiving our Services

Your Responsibilities

  1. You are required to attend an employment information session at the second stage of the application process.

  2. You may be required to take a literacy screening test at the second stage if you have not completed grade 12 or its equivalent. If you provide proof of a learning disorder, you are not required to take the literacy screening test.

  3. If you are applying to the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) through Ontario Works and you have assets above the Ontario Works asset limit and you have not previously used the one-time asset exemption, then you are required to complete an Agreement to Reimburse. If you are determined to be ineligible for ODSP, you must repay some or all of the assistance that you have received.

  4. You will be required to meet with your worker at least every 3 months to review your participation in employment assistance activities and every 12 months to review your financial information.

  5. Contact your worker promptly if:
    • You receive a message that your worker needs to speak to you.
    • There are any changes in your circumstances.
    • You are planning to leave the province for any period.
    • If you being to receive income or your income changes

  6. Respond promptly if you receive a request for information or a form to complete.

  7. All members of your benefit unit who are 18 years of age and older are required to participate in employment assistance activities including a looking for work or better paying work. Activities that may be approved include:

    Independent job search Job search support (i.e. resume workshop)
    Employment placement Community placement
    Education or training program Addiction treatment program
    Supports to self-employment Self-employment activity
    Learning, Earning and Parenting program Literacy training program

    All members are required to immediately report any changes in their participation.

  8. Keep receipts and statements so that your worker can verify your income, expenses and assets. Keep receipts and statements such as:

    Pay stubs Hydro, water and heating costs Bank Account books/statements
    Fire insurance Rent or mortgage payments Income tax assessment or returns
    Child care costs    

  9. Obtain and report all available income that you or a member of your benefit unit is owed or receives, including any earnings and training allowances. Each month you will receive an income reporting form that is used to report all changes to your income. If you or any member of your family begins to receive income or your income changes, you must report this income to your worker and the completed statement must be received in your worker's office by the due date. Your worker will review your income history regularly. Examples of sources of income include:

    Earnings WSIB Employment Insurance
    Sponsor payments Roomer/boarder income Money owed to you
    Interest or dividends Pensions Self-employment income
    OSAP Insurance/accident claims Farm Income
    Sale of assets Child/spouse support Child care income
    Training allowances Inheritances or lotteries Compensation for victims of crime

  10. Report all your assets. An asset is property of all kinds, including cash or anything that you own that can be converted into cash. The total dollar value of your assets affects your eligibility for assistance. The equity that you have in real estate other than your primary residence is included as an asset at the time of application. Examples of assets include:

    Primary or other residence or real estate Life insurance Collections or valuables
    Investments Vehicles Money in bank account

    Remember to tell your worker immediately if you or anyone in your benefit unit:

    Sells or transfers an asset Borrows money
    Buys a new asset Opens or closes a bank account

  11. Report your living arrangements and any other changes. Tell your worker immediately if there are changes in your current living arrangement such as:
    • Your address or phone number changes
    • Your rent or other home cost changes
    • Your dependent leaves school, return to school, starts work, leaves home or returns home
    • The number of people in your benefit unit changes
    • You or a member of your benefit unit leaves Ontario for a period greater than 7 days
  1. You and your spouse are responsible to repay all overpayments you may have. If you leave social assistance, you and your spouse are still required to repay the overpayment.

    Overpayment repayment options available

  2. You are responsible for following the rules of the Ontario Works Program including honest reporting of all circumstances and changes of circumstances that affect eligibility.
[Your Rights]

Revised: Wednesday July 12 2017


Home | Contact Us | Search | A-Z Topic List
Privacy & Terms of Use | Service Commitment

Smaller Text Larger Text