North West Brampton Policy Area ReviewPublic Notice
In 2016 Regional Council directed staff to begin the review of the North West Brampton Policy Area shale resources protection policies in the Regional Official Plan. The policies were inserted into the Official Plan in 2006, as a result of an Ontario Municipal Board decision that implemented minutes of settlement between the Region of Peel, the Province of Ontario and the City of Brampton. These parties agreed to include policies in the Regional Official Plan that would protect shale resources in advance of urban development. Any amendments to these policies were prohibited for a period of ten years. After this period the Region, in collaboration with staff from the City of Brampton, has initiated a process to determine if it is in the public interest to replace the NWBPA with general urban land use designations.
The Background Study was completed in June 2018 and a draft Regional Official Plan Amendmen has been prepared.
Studies and Report
- Appendix I – Map of the North West Brampton Policy Area (PDF)
- Appendix II – Map of the Heritage Heights Planning Area (PDF)
- Appendix III – Areas of Interest Impacted by GTA West Corridor Environmental Assessment Study and Northwest GTA Corridor Identification Study (PDF)
- Appendix IV – Shale Protection Scenarios (PDF)
- Appendix V – Applications for Official Plan Amendments to Remove Shale Protection Policies (PDF)
The following technical information is also available:
- Excerpts of the Regional Official Plan Policy 184.108.40.206.2 f) v) (PDF)
- Provincial Policy Statement, 2014 - Applicable Mineral Aggregate Resources Policies (PDF)
- North West Brampton Policy Area (NWBPA) Review Study Report (Draft Report), May 2018 (PDF)
- Fiscal Impact Assessment: North West Brampton Shale Policy Review, May 2018 (PDF)
- Summary of Stakeholder Consultations (PDF)
- Minutes of Settlement Between Brampton Brick Ltd. and City of Brampton (PDF)
- Summary of Shale Protection Scenario Implications (PDF)
The initial direction to undertake the study, including the terms of reference, was approved by Regional Council on June 9, 2016. The staff report and supporting materials are provided below:
Proposed Review of the Northwest Brampton Shale Resources Policies in the Regional Official Plan.
- Appendix I – North West Brampton Policy Area (PDF)
- Appendix II – North West Brampton Urban Development Area (PDF)
- Appendix III – City of Brampton Secondary Plan Areas (PDF)
- Appendix IV – Terms of Reference (PDF)
For more information, email Gail.Anderson@Peelregion.ca or call (905)791-7800 ext. 4350.