The Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe sets out requirements related to air quality. Specifically, this area will examine air quality protection issues, including the reduction of emissions from municipal and residential sources.
Significant work in this area has already taken place within the Region of Peel, including the development of a Clean Air Strategy, and more research will take place to develop a discussion paper that will be used to consult with the public and interested stakeholders.
Topics of discussion include:
- options to mitigate negative impacts on air quality;
- review of best practices for improving air quality and their successes; and
- potential policy directions.
Air quality issues and impacts have far-reaching effects to human health, the environment and the economy. As a result, prospective policies to address air quality issues are likely to overlap with various other Peel Region Official Plan Review focus areas, particularly the sustainability, energy and transportation focus areas. As part of understanding the conditions and issues pertaining to air quality in the Region of Peel, the Air Quality Discussion Paper (PDF, 1.6 MB, 115 pages) provides the following information:
- an overview of air quality pollutants, sources and impacts;
- a summary of key policy directions that inform approaches to improving air quality at a local level and initiatives ongoing in the Region and its municipalities
- an assessment of the current air quality situation in Peel Region;
- a review of best practices; and
- recommendations for Official Plan policy.