During an Emergency
Specific Emergency Situations - Flooding
Learn more about what to do at home after a flood. Flooding in your community could result in flooding of your basement.
If your basement is about to flood
Do the following if you believe your basement is about to flood, but only if it's safe to do so:
- Move furniture, electrical appliances, pets, equipment and other belongings to higher levels of your home.
- Make sure all basement windows are closed.
If your basement floods
If your basement floods, don't go into the basement until professionals arrive. Be sure it's safe before re-entering your home after a flood.
Driving in floods
- Always avoid flooded areas if possible.
- Make sure you're on firm ground.
- If you encounter a barricade or a flooded road, take a different route.