Construction Work Starting in Your Neighborhood
Project #16-2300 A PH 1&2/ 16-1310 M1
The Region of Peel will be working in your neighborhood to improve the existing water and wastewater service capacity along Thomas Street, Joymar Drive, Tannery Street, Rutledge Road, Ontario Court, Ardsley Street and Morgon Avenue as shown on the attached map. This work includes replacing the water service pipe to your service box (the round shut-off valve) and the sanitary sewer to your property line. Wastewater comes from flushing toilets, having a shower or washing dishes. Sanitary sewer pipes take wastewater from homes or businesses to a treatment plant.
Project construction is expected to start on Thomas Street in early May and be substantially completed by the end of December 2017. All work is under warranty for two years from the completion date. We will start restoring the road on a street by street basis when all water and sanitary sewer replacements and transfers are complete, and as weather permits.
Reducing the Impact of Construction
- The work will be phased to minimize traffic disruption in the area and construction will be contained to one street at a time.
- Pedestrian access to houses will be maintained at all times.
- Regular working hours will be between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., Monday to Friday
- We try to disturb you as little as possible and let you know if there are any substantial changes to the project.
Traffic, Driveway and Parking Information
- We may need to reduce traffic to a single lane and on-street parking will be reduced
- The Joymar Drive and Tannery Street intersection will be closed to through traffic from July 1 to September 1, 2017.
- We may need to block your driveway for a short time and will contact you before we do this to arrange the best time. If you need immediate access to your driveway, the contractor will have road plates available to quickly allow access in and out of your driveway.
- If we need to cut your driveway to replace the existing service we will repair the asphalt in the disturbed area from edge to edge across the driveway. Unfortunately the Region cannot completely replace your driveway.
Tree Trimming and Sod Replacement
- If tree branches on private property interfere with construction, they will be pruned back to the nearest suitable trunk, crotch or branch. The contractor will ask you for permission before cutting any branches on private property. If you do not allow the contractor onto your property to trim the branches, the branches will be cut vertically at the property line.
- The contractor will take care of any sod we replace for 30 days. You can help it stay healthy by watering it for one hour in the early morning, two or three times a week, especially in hot or dry weather.
- It is very common for the work area to settle a bit following construction. If you notice any settlement, please let the inspector know and we will ensure the contractor fixes it.
Underground Sprinkler Systems
- Please tell the inspector if you have a sprinkler system outside your property line (i.e. the boulevard). We recommend moving the sprinkler lines to inside your property to avoid damage.
Interrupting Your Water Supply
- It is our goal to let you know 48 hours (2 days) in advance if we need to shut off your water. Occasionally we may have to reduce this notice to 24 hours.
- If we have to shut off your water because of an emergency, we will do everything we can to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
- Your garbage or recycling and organics containers will be picked up on your regularly scheduled collection day. It is the contractor’s responsibility to move your containers to a location where our collection vehicles can pick them up.
- Empty containers will be returned to their related address so please ensure your house number is clearly marked on each bin.
The Region of Peel provides a safe environment that conforms to the Occupational Health and Safety Act at all times.
The Region encourages you to notify the Regional Inspector if you have special requirements, or if you have any comments or concerns. After-hours please call 905-791-7800.
905-791-7800, ext. 5013