|||| TransHelp Fares
- Each one way trip costs $3.50 ($7 for a return trip)
- All new eligible registrants are required to pay a minimum fee of $35 (10 one way trips or five return trips).
- All TransHelp trips must be prepaid in advance by direct payment (Interac) debit, cheque or VISA/MasterCard. Payments can be made at the TransHelp office (2 Copper Road, Brampton), Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Payments by debit, cash or cheque can also be made at Access Peel (10 Peel Centre Drive, Brampton or 7120 Hurontario Street, Mississauga), Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Please remember that the TransHelp operators are responsible for transporting you to your destination. The operators are not responsible for delivering your payment to the office.
- All clients are responsible for tracking their fare balances.
- You can check fare balances on the Interactive Voice Response system (IVR) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The value is in dollars and cents and takes into account any bookings made up to one week in advance.
- To arrange for prepayment or settle account discrepancies, call 905-791-1015 ext. 6853.
We also offer a printable version of the updated User’s Guide (pdf 368KB)
SAME DAY RIDE
Riders may book Same Day Trips for unplanned outings. Bookings are not guaranteed, but rides will be provided if vehicle capacity and scheduling permit. To book a Same Day Trip, call TransHelp during Monday to Friday office hours for availability. The fare for a same day trip is $3.50.
Please note: If you are a monthly pass holder a request for a same day trip is not included in your monthly pass. Monthly pass holders will pay the fare of $3.50 for a same day trip request.
A $112 monthly pass entitles the client unlimited rides per calendar month.
Monthly Pass holders can benefit from a 15 per cent tax credit through Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
Clients can purchase and pay for a MPASS (monthly pass) from the 15th to the 21st of the current month for use during the following month.
Clients should specify at the time of paying that they wish to pay for a monthly pass. A receipt will be generated specifying “monthly pass”.
A monthly pass statement for the year will be generated on request from the client.
Frequently asked Questions
- What is the tax credit for public/paratransit passes?
The tax credit for public/paratransit passes is a non-refundable tax credit for the cost of buying a monthly pass for commuting on buses, streetcars, subways and commuter trains.
- How do I claim the tax credit for public/paratransit passes?
You will be able to claim the tax credit for public/paratransit passes on your 2009 income tax return for the amounts you paid for travel from April 1, 2008 when the TransHelp Monthly Pass Program was introduced.
- What will I need to support my claim?
You will need to keep your receipts which specify payment towards “TransHelp Monthly Pass” for the months from April 2008 and on to support your claim.
You can request a yearly statement from TransHelp which will have the following information to support a claim for the tax credit:
CRA will accept the statement generated by TransHelp as the provider of the transit pass program.
- an indication that it is a monthly pass;
- the date or period for which the pass was valid;
- the words “TransHelp Monthly Pass Program” as the transit authority issuing the pass and;
- the amount paid for the pass along with the client’s name or client ID.
You will not need to submit any documentation when you file your return, but you must keep it in case CRA asks for it in verifying your claim.
- How much can I claim?
You can claim the full amount paid for a public/paratransit pass or for the cost of passes for multiple transit systems. The tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit, which means that the amount you claim is multiplied by the lowest personal income tax rate for the year (15 per cent) and is then deducted from your tax otherwise payable.
- I use more than one method of public transit to commute. Can I claim more than one type of pass?
Yes, you can claim the full amount of any combination of transit passes.
- Can I claim the credit on behalf of my family?
Yes, you can claim the tax credit for public/paratransit passes on behalf of your spouse, common law partner and your children under the age of 19 to the extent that these amounts have not already been claimed.
- How can I contact CRA or obtain further information about the tax credit?
You can contact T.I.P.S (Tax Information phone service) at 1-800-267-6999 or TTY (Teletypewriter) 1-800-665-0354 or www.cra-arc.gc.ca
- Why do I have to pre-purchase a pass for next month?
The MPass MUST be pre-purchased between the 15th and 21st of the month prior to the month the MPass begins. The reason is because trips for clients with subscriptions/regular rides are generated one week in advance of the first day of the month. If a pass for the next month does not get purchased within this week then the trips for the next month will not automatically be created.
- Why do fares/charges come out of my account even though I have an MPass?
Registered clients may take unlimited trips within the month for which the MPass has been purchased. However, clients will be charged the full fare if a trip is a no-show, cancelled late or cancelled the same day. The reason is because the trip has already been scheduled and a vehicle has been assigned to the trip. In many cases, the vehicle is on the way to the pick-up location at the time of the late cancellation so we must charge the fare.
- What do I do if I decide not to purchase a pass for next month?
Clients must let us know so that their file can be updated and the ‘MPASS’ status removed. TransHelp will confirm at that time that the client’s account is funded for future trips. Please contact the TransHelp Control Clerk at ext. 6853 and leave a message with your intention.
- Can companions travel on the MPASS?
No. TransHelp allows for a registered client to travel with a maximum of two companions if the vehicle permits. An individual fare will be charged for each companion and the fares will be deducted directly from the client’s account.
Home | News & Events | User's Guide | TransHelp Policies | Advisory Commitee | Contact Us |
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -