|||| User's Guide For Persons with Disabilities in Peel
On behalf of staff at TransHelp we would like to welcome you to the Region of Peel’s paratransit service.
All of us at TransHelp sincerely hope that this User’s Guide answers any questions you may have about our service. Should you require additional information, please call us at 905-791-1015.
Throughout this guide, you will find helpful information regarding:
Please refer to our website at www.peelregion.ca/transhelp for detailed information on TransHelp policies and updates to this User’s Guide.
Thank you for using TransHelp.
- TransHelp Staff and Management
We also offer a printable version of the updated User’s Guide (28 pages, 368 Kb)
Who is Eligible for TransHelp
The service is intended for people residing in the Regional Municipality of Peel who are physically unable to board public transit vehicles due to functional mobility problems.
How do I Apply for TransHelp?
All TransHelp applicants, regardless of mobility status are required to complete an “Application for Transportation Services Form” and obtain certification from their physician, occupational therapist or physiotherapist.
Contact Customer Service at 905-791-1015 and press 2 to speak with a Customer Service Representative to receive an “Application for Transportation Services Form”.
The completed applications may be sent via mail, fax, email
or dropped off to TransHelp at:
3190 Mavis Road,
Mississauga, ON L5C 1T9
10 Peel Centre Drive, Suite B
Brampton, ON L6T4B9
Fax : 905-277-5864
Hours of service
Monday to Sunday and Holidays - 6 a.m. to 1 a.m.
Saturday/Sunday/Holiday service and trips that cannot be accommodated by buses during regular service hours are provided by the following taxi companies:
|For trips originating in Brampton:
||Bram City 905-455-7777
|For trips originating in Mississauga:
||Blue and White 905-274-4444
|If in doubt, call Bram City in Brampton or Blue and White in Mississauga.
Travel Time on TransHelp
TransHelp endeavours to minimize travel time to every extent possible. Passengers may be required to be on TransHelp vehicles for a period of up to 90 minutes when travelling within any one municipality in the Region of Peel during a one-way trip and over 90 minutes during peak hours and inclement weather.
- When making a booking please be ready to provide:
- Your name, address and registration number,
- Date you want to ride,
- Time you want to reach your destination and time of return,
- Destination address (please be specific),
- Whether you use a wheelchair or other mobility device,
- Clients unable to communicate and/or direct their transportation will be required to travel with an escort (ESC) or personal care attendant (PCA). The ESC/PCA will not be charged to your account.
- State number of companions. Each companion will be charged per trip against your account, and
- You can be accompanied by two people maximum.
How Do I Make a Booking?
You can book your trips Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Trips can be booked up to one week in advance but no later than the business day before, by 2 p.m.
- If there are no rides available for the time requested, you may be offered an alternate time up to one hour before or after the requested time.
- You must schedule your return trip when making your booking.
- Clients are urged to book late-return rides at least one hour before the pick up location closes. This will ensure shelter and phone access if the ride is late.
- When scheduling a return trip, please consider any unexpected delays you may encounter. For example if you expect to finish at 3 p.m. please ask for a 3:15 or 3:30 return time. It’s better to wait a few minutes than to miss your ride.
What if I Miss my Ride?
- If you miss the vehicle for your scheduled ride, please call TransHelp at 905-791-1015. Whenever possible, another vehicle will be sent. However, it may take up to three hours to dispatch another vehicle and you must pay the appropriate no-show fee.
Example: if your appointment is in Toronto and you need to be there for 12 noon, and you arranged to be picked up by WheelTrans at 11:30, you should request TransHelp to get you to the connection by 11 a.m. to ensure you do not miss the WheelTrans vehicle.
- Clients are advised to allow for at least 30 minutes for a connection trip.
- TransHelp has connection points with Toronto and Oakville paratransit services. For more information, contact a Customer Service Representative: 905-791-1015
What is a Permanent Trip?
- Trips to work, educational institution or regularly scheduled appointments are considered permanent trips.
- Once your permanent trips start, you are only required to call when you change, suspend or renew the subscription.
- For permanent trips, you can expect the TransHelp vehicle up to 60 minutes before the requested pick up time.
What is a Casual Trip?
- Rides for shopping, outings or occasional appointments are considered casual trips.
- You are more likely to receive a last minute ride between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. for casual trips. However, you are encouraged to book up to one week in advance if your schedule permits.
What are Same Day Requests?
- A request for a trip that is made on the day you would like to go out is know as “Same Day Trip Request”.
- TransHelp cannot guarantee a trip on short notice, but we will try to accommodate your request, if vehicle capacity and scheduling permit.
- Call TransHelp during Monday to Friday Office hours to check for availability
- If your request is received after 2 p.m. the business day before your ride, we will place you on our standby list. As soon as a ride is available, you will be contacted. Please provide us with a contact number to enable us to reach you.
How to Ride TransHelp?
There is an estimated arrival time and you must be ready when the vehicle arrives. You will be given time to board and there may be additional stops before reaching your final destination.
- You may ride for any purpose as long as a reservation has been made.
- When you confirm your ride time one business day before (call after 4 p.m.), the TransHelp Customer Service Representative will give you an estimated pick-up time. For example if your estimated pick-up time is 8:30, you should be ready and waiting at 8:15 to board the vehicle at 8:30. Should your ride not arrive by 8:45 please contact the TransHelp office or the taxi company in the case of weekend rides or after TransHelp hours.
- If you are not ready at the pick-up time, the operator will post a “No Show” slip and continue the route.
- You might be on a bus for a period of up to ninety minutes when traveling within any one municipality in the Region of Peel during a one-way trip and over 90 minutes during peak hours and inclement weather. Please ensure that you have adequate medication and supplies in case of delay.
- You can expect the operators to securely fasten your mobility devices.
- Operators provide door-to-door service from accessible door to accessible door.
- Operators will safely transport you and other passengers to your destinations.
- Wear your seatbelt (unless medically excused and proper documentation is provided) at all times until you reach your destination and the TransHelp vehicle comes to a complete stop.
- Carry-on items are limited to two grocery bags or one knapsack unless you have a PCA travelling with you to assist with extra bags.
- Please have any medical supplies that you may be carrying secure.
How to Appeal
The following appeal process is available to TransHelp passengers to address circumstances that constitute an exception to TransHelp policies.
The passenger or their designate may appeal in writing to “TransHelp Eligibility Appeals” to resolve their appeal. Written appeals will be accepted within seven business days of the issuance of the policy action. The decisions of the “TransHelp Eligibility Appeals Team” shall be final.
Appeal letters may be forwarded to:
TransHelp Eligibility Appeals
3190 Mavis Road
Mississauga ON L5C 1T9
Applicants who are considered ineligible for the service may re-apply after a period of six months from the date they were considered ineligible.
A written appeal can be made for the file to be reviewed based on supporting documentation from your doctor or physician.
The second assessment is considered final with the exception of providing documents to support significant change to medical conditions from the last appeal date.
Interactive Voice Response (IVR) User’s Guide
Call TransHelp at 905-791-1015 and press 1 for the automated line.
You will be asked to enter your TransHelp registration number and your password.
Your password is your date of birth – month and date. For example, May 22 will be 0522. To change your password, speak with a Customer Service Representative.
IVR will then offer you the following options to choose from:
- To confirm your rides, press 1
- To cancel your rides, press 2
- To check your fare balance, press 3
- To speak with a Customer Service Representative, press 0
- To end your call, press 9
Note: When accessing trip times on the IVR, please be aware that your vehicle may arrive 15 minutes before or 15 minutes after the estimated time given. Please be ready at the accessible door to meet your vehicle.
TransHelp must continuously adjust scheduled service in an attempt to overcome no-shows, delays, traffic accidents and other forms of traffic congestion, vehicle breakdowns etc., and may change the type of vehicle dispatched in order to assist in overcoming problems.
Confirmations of Ride Times
- You are encouraged to confirm your trip time range for all TransHelp trips to be ready and reduce wait times. You can obtain this through the Interactive Voice Response System (IVR) 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
The ride time is an estimated time. Your vehicle may arrive 15 minutes before or 15 minutes after the estimated time. Please be ready at the accessible door to meet your vehicle.
Press 1, enter the date of the ride you want to confirm i.e. May 22 will be 0522. The IVR will confirm the time of your ride, the type of vehicle for your ride, and your location, i.e. from client home to work. If you want to end your call, press 9. If you want to speak with a CSR, press 0, or press * to return to the main menu.
- You can also speak with a Customer Service Representative to obtain your trip time range. The estimated time is available to you from 4 p.m. (the day before) to the hour before your trip.
- Last minute changes to trips (i.e. cancellations) will affect the entire schedule.
- If you no longer require your ride, please call by 2 p.m. the business day before to avoid being charged for the trip.
- To cancel a trip on IVR:
- Press 2, enter the date of the ride you want to cancel i.e. May 22 will be entered as 0522.
- The system will ask you if you want to cancel the ride you indicated, press 1 for yes or press 2 for no. If you want to end your call press 9. If you want to speak with a CSR press 0 or press * to return to the main menu.
- You may cancel a ride on the day of your ride only if your ride time has not passed. You may also cancel any future trips. Rides cancelled in advance will not be charged.
- If you are not at the designated pick-up location at your confirmed time range, the operator will leave a “Sorry We Missed You” note and continue to the next scheduled pick-up. Please note that you will be charged for the trip.
- If the TransHelp vehicle leaves without you after waiting a few minutes, the trip will be considered a no-show and you will be responsible for paying the fare.
- If you are a no-show, TransHelp will automatically cancel the remainder of your trips for that day.
- Any trip cancelled after 2 p.m. on the business day before is considered a late cancellation and you will be responsible for paying the fare.
- TransHelp reserves the right to suspend trips if a consistent pattern of no-shows is identified. This is considered an abuse of service.
- Any trip with a no-show is a lost trip for another client
- To cancel a ride and avoid a no-show, call us at 905-791-1015 as soon as possible.
To Contact TransHelp
Call the office at 905-791-1015 between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday to Friday.
|Interactive Voice Response
|Reservations, Registration, Cancellations
|Customer Comment Line
Lines are busiest from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Please stay on the line or try again after five minutes.
Cell Phone Users: If you are away from home and your ride is late, you can make a free call to TransHelp on your cell phone:
- Rogers or AT&T Customers dial: *THLP (*8457)
- Bell Customers dial: #THLP (#8457).
Fax Bookings: Group bookings can be faxed to TransHelp at 905-277-5864
TransHelp is committed to providing quality service to its passengers and welcomes your comments. If you have a comment you would like to make about TransHelp, contact:
Customer Service Representative
3190 Mavis Rd., Mississauga, ON L5C 1T9
Comment Line: 905-791-1015, ext. 6862
E-mail General Enquiries: TransHelp@peelregion.ca
Commendations/Complaints or Concerns: CommendationsandComplaints-Transhelp@peelregion.ca
Home | News & Events | User's Guide | TransHelp Policies | Advisory Commitee | Contact Us |
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -