Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Apply for child care subsidy

A child care subsidy reduces the amount of money that you pay for licensed child care for your children age 12 and under.

Wait times

It’s best to apply 4 weeks in advance to process an application. Submit only 1 application. Submitting multiple applications will extend your wait time.

We’ve received more applications than usual, so there might be a delay in processing. We will reply to each applicant on a first come, first served basis.

To be eligible to apply, you must meet the following criteria:

If you're an Ontario Works recipient, do not complete this application. If you need assistance with child care, contact your Ontario Works Caseworker.

Other information

Before applying for a child care subsidy use our tool to find out if you may be eligible.

Check eligibility

Before you apply, you'll need to make sure you have all the required documents and identification.

Family composition is a key part of determining child care subsidy eligibility. We’ll consider details like the status of the parent’s relationship, number of children needing child care, custody arrangements in place, and other living arrangements. To learn more, refer to the family composition policy.

Once you've completed your application, you’ll receive an email confirming next steps.

Apply online

If you're not able to apply online, you can apply by phone. Call us at 905-793-9200 (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).

If you're staying in an emergency shelter or transitional housing, and need help paying for child care talk to our staff. They can help you submit a shelter referral for child care fee subsidy. This can be submitted instead of applying online or by phone.

You can find a child care space by using the Peel Early Learning and Child Care Directory.

When you locate a child care space, contact the provider to see if they have a spot available for your child. Do not register your child with the provider until you've been approved for a child care subsidy.