Child care subsidy update for families
Information for families about refunds and lower fees as part of the Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care Agreement.
The Canadian and Ontario governments signed the Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care Agreement to make child care more affordable for families.
If your child care provider is participating in this program, your child care fees will be reduced up to 25% for any fees you paid after April 1, 2022, for children under 6 and you will receive a refund.
Refunds are based on the Ministry of Education’s formula. Depending on the number of children you have and their ages, you may receive less than 25%.
If your provider chooses not to participate or is not approved, you will not be eligible to receive a refund or a lowered child care fee.
Getting your refund
- If your family is currently receiving a child care subsidy, you do not need to take any action.
- If eligible, you will receive your refund from your provider in November or December.
- Refunds will be issued as money back or as a credit towards future child care fees.
- Your provider will let you know if they will be refunding your fee or issuing a credit.
- If you paid a child care fee to different child care providers, you will receive your total refund from one provider.
- If you do not pay a fee for child care, you will not see any changes or receive a refund.
Lower child care fees
- Once you receive your refund from your provider, they will let you know what your reduced child care fee will be and when to start paying the new amount.
- In 2023, child care fees will be lowered up to 50% for eligible children under 6 years. You will be advised of your new fee and do not need to take any action.
Optional for child care providers
The early learning and child care program is optional and child care providers choose to participate. Providers must apply and be approved to participate in the program to be able to provide refunds to families and lower child care fees.
Your child care subsidy
Your eligibility for subsidy will not change based on the early learning and child care plan. Currently there are no changes to the subsidy program. All current requirements for child care subsidy are still in place including the requirement for you to be working or going to school.
If you have questions
If you want to know when you will receive your refund or when to start paying your lower child care fee, speak to your child care provider.
If you have questions about the amount of your refund or your lower child care fee, contact us by email.