Lower child care fees for families who use child care
95% of licensed child care providers in Peel are participating in the Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care plan.
To receive lower child care fees, children must be enrolled in a licensed centre or home child care program that is participating in the new child care plan.
Children in participating infant, toddler, preschool, kindergarten, mixed age group or licensed home child care programs who turn 6 years old between:
- January and June are eligible until June 30 of that year.
- July 1 and December 31 are eligible until the end of the month they turn 6 years old.
Children in a participating school-age program at a licensed child care centre are eligible only until the end of the month they turn 6 years old.
Reducing your fees
If you have a child of eligible age and your provider chooses to participate and is approved, you will see the following reductions:
- Starting on January 1, 2023, your fees will be 52.75% lower if you’re paying full fee for child care. If you receive help to pay for child care, your fee will drop by 50%.
- At this time, no further reductions in 2024 have been announced by the Ministry of Education.
- September 2025, you will get your final reduction as all child care fees move towards an average of $10 a day.
Getting your refund and lower fees
- If your licensed child care provider is participating in the new child care plan, you should already have received up to a 25% refund or credit for any child care or registration fees that you paid after April 1, 2022. You will also automatically pay lower fees in the future starting January 1, 2023.
- If you did not receive your refund or credit by the end of December, ask your provider. You can also share any concerns about getting your refund or credit with us here.
- If you changed your child care provider after April 1, 2022, and your previous provider joins the new child care plan, you'll get a 25% refund for fees that you paid to them. Ask your previous provider about your refund.
- Your child care provider must tell you if they decided not to join the child care plan. If they chose not to participate, you will not get a refund. If you wish to withdraw from their program, you have 30 days to tell them without any penalty.
- If your child is eligible and your provider is participating, your fees should now be 52.75% lower.
To find a child care provider in Peel, go to InfoPeel.
Even with lower child care fees, some families still cannot afford child care. If you need support to pay your child care costs, check if you qualify for our subsidy program.
Learn more about the Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care agreement.