||FREE Dental Screening at School
A Peel Public Health Registered Dental Hygienist and Certified Dental Assistant will be providing FREE dental screening in select grades in Peel elementary schools.
Contact your child’s school to find out when Peel Public Health will be visiting for dental screening.
Why is oral health important?
- Good oral health is important to a child’s overall health.
- Untreated tooth decay may lead to pain and infection. It may lead to other problems such as difficulty chewing, difficulty concentrating, or the child may miss school.
What is a dental screening?
- It is a quick assessment by a Registered Dental Hygienist who will take a look inside the child’s mouth. A separate, sterilized mouth mirror is used for each child.
- It identifies dental treatment needs that parents may not know about. If a child is identified a form will be sent home and the parent may be contacted by a dental staff member. Eligible children can receive free dental services under Healthy Smiles Ontario program. Please click here for more on dental forms.
- A dental screening does not replace regular dental visits.
If you have any questions please contact Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700, extension 5622.
What are some benefits for your child to receive a dental screening?
- For children who see their own dental professional, a dental screening at school can be used as an extra look inside the child’s mouth from a Registered Dental Hygienist.
- Parents will be informed of any dental treatment needs that they may not be aware of.
School Dental Screening Exemption
Exemptions must be completed at least one day before your school starts dental screening (Please note: If we do not receive the exemption by the deadline there is a chance your child could have already been screened). If screening has already started please call 905-799-7700, extension 5622.
If you DO NOT want your child to have a FREE dental screening, call Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700, ext. 5622 or visit the School Dental Screening Web Portal.