February is Winter Walk Month
Have fun walking to school when it’s snowy outside.
Now is the perfect time to kick off a new winter walking routine – or celebrate the routine you have – by walking and applauding your accomplishments throughout February.
Distance doesn’t matter
Anyone can participate!
Students who normally take the school bus can try walking to the bus stop instead of driving.
Students who don’t take the school bus can try public transit or parking 5 or 10 minutes away from the school, then walking the rest of the way.
Activity ideas for celebrating Winter Walk Month
Kindergarten – Grade 5
- Grab your crayons, paint, and markers to colour in this colouring sheet or design your own winter-themed poster or bookmark.
- Do a scavenger hunt in your neighbourhood: I Spy Card for K-3, I Spy Card for 4-6
- Learn some winter walking words as you look for them in this word search or use the words to create your own Wordle game.
- Track your active trips and earn treasures with the free, kid-friendly HOP! App.
Grade 6 – 12
- Use your favourite physical activity app for a friendly competition between friends, families, classes, or schools to see who can log the most steps.
- Create your own Wordle game with winter walking words.
- Explore your trip to school (Grades 6-8) using geographic tools with the Get Moving for Climate Change Story Map.
- Use the hashtags #JourneyOutside, #WinterWalkDay2022, #WWDPeel, and #WalkandRollPeel on social media to share your journey.
Celebrating as a whole school
- Host one or more Winter Walk Month events with music and fanfare to celebrate students and families as they arrive at school by walking.
- If your school has a large number of students who travel by school bus, consider a school-wide outdoor event during the school day. Try a school-wide DPA in the snow, or a walk around the school yard or community so everyone can participate together.
- Encourage participation at your school by creating student pledges and posting them in high-traffic areas at your school. Use the EcoSchools Active and Sustainable School Travel Pledge template.
- If you’re an EcoSchool, track participation and earn points to certify your school on the EcoSchools Certification Application.
- Get more fun ideas from Green Communities Canada.