COVID-19 for health professionals
Available resources and updates
Together with the health system and our community partners, we're vaccinating Peel residents. Refer to COVID-19 vaccine for more information.
Expression of interest by primary care clinics for COVID-19 vaccination
Physicians are a trusted source of vaccine information and play an important role in supporting public health efforts to distribute COVID-19 vaccines to Peel residents. Primary care and community pediatric clinics are encouraged to administer COVID-19 vaccines in their practices. Refer to more information on providing vaccinations at primary care sites.
Reporting an adverse event following COVID-19 vaccine
The most commonly reported side effects after receiving a COVID-19 vaccine are local reactions including pain, redness or swelling at the infection site, tiredness, headache, muscle pain, joint pain, chills, and mild fever.
If a patient is showing signs of having an adverse reaction after being given the COVID-19 vaccine:
- Complete a Report of Adverse Event Following Immunization.
- Fax the completed AEFI form to Peel Public Health at 905-565-1456.
Serious side effects after receiving the vaccine are rare. However, if a person develops any serious symptoms or symptoms that could be an allergic reaction, they should seek medical attention right away or call 911 if they are severely unwell.
Peel Public Health resources
- Health professionals updates (HPU) – refer to the latest HPUs from Peel Public Health, as well as archives of previous HPUs
- Health Professionals page – information for health professionals on various public health topic areas
- COVID-19 in Peel dashboard including weekly epidemiology updates, focus of the week reports and vaccine status information
- Active institutional outbreaks – information on outbreaks in Peel health care institutions
- Region of Peel COVID-19 resources and posters, also available in multiple languages
COVID-19 vaccine resources
- COVID-19 vaccines for Ontario - Government of Ontario
- COVID-19 vaccine-relevant information and planning resources - Ministry of Health
- Center for Effective Practice COVID-19 vaccine resource for physicians which includes patient resources and information on vaccines authorized for use in Canada
Infection prevention and control resources
- IPAC measures for clinical office practices
- Interim IPAC Recommendations for Use of Personal Protective Equipment for Care of Individuals with Suspect or Confirmed COVID-19
- Public Health Ontario’s Infection prevention and control (IPAC) assessment
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) intake form – Please contact the Ontario Health-Central Region Supply Chain Team at OHCentralPPEInquiries@lhins.on.ca if you have questions.
- Health Sector guidance documents from the Ontario Ministry of Health including key resources such as Guidance for Primary Care Providers in a Community Setting and COVID-19 Reference Document for Symptoms
- French translated COVID-19 resources from the Government of Ontario and Public Health Ontario
- COVID-19 Clinical assessments and testing – including information about rapid antigen and molecular tests, testing eligibility, clinic and testing location
Questions? Contact us at 905-799-7700, Caledon 905-584-2216 and follow the prompts for health care providers. Our call centre hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday.