Caring for Your Child's Teeth
*This webpage is for information purposes only. It is NOT a substitute for professional dental advice.*
Protect your child’s teeth and mouth from injury by:
- Insisting he wear safety gear — such as helmets and mouth guards —
when playing sports that could result in injuries to the mouth and face.
- Reminding him to play safely and be aware of others around him. Discourage him from swinging bats or kicking and throwing balls when others aren’t paying attention.
- Insisting he always wear a seatbelt, even for very short trips. Buckle up!
- Discouraging him from using his teeth as tools (i.e. for opening beverage bottles or holding things like pencils or eyeglasses).
- Reminding him to never push others at the water fountain or on playground equipment.
- Making sure his shoelaces or buckles are done up at all times.
- Knowing first aid if a tooth is knocked out.