Woman abuse is the intentional and systematic use of tactics to establish and maintain power and control in a relationship. Tactics may include:
- Hitting, slapping, punching, choking or any other action that might cause, or threaten to cause, harm or injury to the body.
- Forcing another person to have sexual relations against their consent, any unwanted sexual touching or advances, or threats to end the relationship if theindividual does not engage in sexual acts.
Emotional or Psychological Abuse
- Name calling, threats to take away the children, threats to commit suicide, public humiliation and criticism, isolating an individual from friends, family members and/or neighbours.
- Controlling all the money or finances, prohibiting employment outside the home.
- Breaking possessions, harming pets, restricting entry into or out of the house.
Religious or Spiritual Abuse
- Prohibiting participation in spiritual or religious practices, using religious/spiritual beliefs to control or punish a woman and/or her children.
Stalking (criminal harassment)
- Persistently following, persistent and/or threatening phone-calls or e-mail.