Canada-Ontario Housing Benefit
A monthly housing allowance for low-income households to assist with housing costs
Application are closed
We’re no longer accepting applications for the Canada-Ontario Housing Benefit. We’ll provide an update once applications are again being accepted.
The Canada-Ontario Housing Benefit (COHB) is paid monthly directly to a person or household. The COHB is provided to low-income households to assist with housing costs. Unlike other forms of housing benefit the COHB is attached to a person or household and not a specific address or physical housing unit.
The amount you receive is calculated using a formula that includes your household income, the number of people in your house and the local housing market rents in the Region of Peel.
You can apply if:
- You’re a resident of Peel.
- You’re on the social housing wait list, meet the criteria for being on the wait list, or you live in community housing. You do not need to be on the housing wait list when you apply.
- You’re not receiving a housing subsidy, or any other government-funded housing benefit other than social assistance shelter payments.
- You consent to being removed from the social housing wait list in Peel.
- You do not own or live in a home owned by a member of your household; if so, and you are approved for the program, then you must move out of the home within 90 days of being determined eligible
Applying for COHB
Applications are no longer being accepted.