This new infill development will add 200 new affordable rental housing units in Brampton.
- Applications open
The new building is centrally located in Brampton within a Major Transit Station Area (MTSA) and will be designed to meet Peel Region’s Net Zero Emissions (NZE) Building Standard for New Construction. Chelsea Gardens is registered on the Canada Green Building Council project database for the Zero Carbon Building – Design v3 certification.
Contact us for more information on Peel’s NZE Building Standard.
We look forward to your support for this exciting project.
A zoning bylaw amendment has been approved by the City of Brampton to permit an affordable rental apartment building. The building is 20-storeys and has 200 apartment units. It is the third affordable rental apartment building on the site.
The project is currently in the design phase.
Early works construction (borehole drilling) is planned to start as early as November 2023.
Chelsea Gardens is located at 4 and 10 Knightsbridge in Ward 7 in Brampton, near the intersection of Queen Street and Central Park Drive.
Chelsea Gardens is close to:
- Bramalea bus terminal
- Grocery stores
- Bramalea City Centre shopping mall
- Peel Civic Centre and Chinguacousy library
It is also walking distance to local parks, including Knightsbridge Park, Clark Park, Fallingdale Park, and Chinguacousy Park.
Chelsea Gardens is a project included in the Peel Region Council approved Housing Master Plan. This long-term capital infrastructure plan guides how we’ll create more affordable housing in Peel.
Chelsea Gardens has proven to be a favorable site because of its location, access to transit and other services. Currently, Chelsea Gardens is a 250-unit Peel Housing Corporation residential development made up of 2 apartment buildings,13 storeys each.
The new development would involve adding a third apartment building at the location, up to 20 storeys in height. The new tower will have approximately 200 units.
Peel hosted an informal community consultation with its planning consultants for residents on January 19. Access the recording.
Chelsea Gardens is a residential project. The new tower will include additional parking and barrier-free units. There will not be balconies at the new building.
There will be common areas for residents of the new building.
A shadow study review was completed for Chelsea Gardens and revealed minimal shadowing impact for existing units.
The new building will have dedicated underground parking.
Applications for rent-up are not yet available at this stage in the planning process.
- October 2023: Peel hosts an information session at 10 Knightsbridge Road for residents before the start of early construction works.
- February 2023: The appeal period for the zoning bylaw amendment has expired without any appeals.
- January 2023: The Zoning By-Law Amendment is approved by the City council.
- December 2022: The Zoning By-Law Amendment is recommended for approval by the City’s Planning and Development Committee.
- June 2022: A staff report is received at the City of Brampton's June 6 Planning and Development Committee meeting.
- January 2022: Peel hosts an informal community consultation with our planning consultants. Access the recording.
- May 2021: Planning review and related studies are initiated.