Peel Housing and Homelessness Plan
Setting the direction for the work of the Region and its partners to increase affordable housing and prevent chronic homelessness in Peel.
We have 5 strategies (PDF) focused on helping people to get and keep housing. They include:
- Building new affordable housing
- Providing incentives for others to build affordable housing
- Transforming our service delivery to help people get and keep housing
- Optimizing existing stock - creating more affordable housing within existing private stock
- Increasing supportive housing.
Key actions in 2020
To achieve those strategies, we have focused our work on the following key actions in 2020:
Housing master plan
A long-term plan to guide development of 5,700 new affordable rental units, supportive housing units and emergency beds on Peel Housing Corporation sites and Regional surplus lands by 2034. Regional Council endorsed the Housing Master Plan in July 2019.
Incentives pilot project
Financial and non-financial incentives to encourage non-profit and private developers to build more affordable housing in Peel.
Significantly changing service approach to provide Peel residents who have urgent housing needs with the right supports to help them get and keep their housing. We assess their needs and coordinate the appropriate services for them. This new service model includes new technology to improve access and coordination as well as policy changes that better enable us to match the person with the right services.
Private stock strategy
Incentives for homeowners and landlords in Peel to increase supply of affordable housing units within their homes or buildings. This includes second unit renovation assistance.
Increasing supportive housing
A safe house and transitional house for survivors of human sex trafficking are scheduled to open in 2020.
- Region of Peel’s Strategic Housing and Homelessness Committee agenda, Feb 6, 2020 (PDF)
- Region of Peel Council agenda: Housing and Homelessness Services – aligning resources to address urgent needs report to the Strategic Housing and Homelessness Committee, February 13, 2020, Item 15.2.2 page 131 (PDF)
View facts on housing and homelessness for more about our work to make affordable housing available to all residents and to prevent homelessness.
Email Peel Housing and Homelessness Plan if you have any questions.