Peel Housing and Homelessness Plan
Setting the direction for the work of the Region and its partners to increase affordable housing and prevent chronic homelessness in Peel.
We have 5 strategies (PDF) focused on helping people to get and keep housing. They include:
- Building new affordable housing
- Providing incentives for others to build affordable housing
- Transforming our service delivery to help people get and keep housing
- Optimizing existing stock - creating more affordable housing within existing private stock
- Increasing supportive housing.
Key Actions in 2019
To achieve those strategies, we have focused our work on the following key actions in 2019:
Housing Master Plan
Provides a long-term plan to redevelop or build on Peel Housing Corporation sites and Regional surplus lands. Regional Council endorsed the Housing Master Plan in July 2019. The plan supports the “building new affordable housing” strategy.
Incentives Pilot Project
Identifies financial and non-financial incentives to encourage partners to build more affordable housing. A report is scheduled to go to the Strategic Housing and Homelessness Committee (SHHC) early 2020 on a recommended plan. The project supports "Providing Incentives to Build Affordable Housing”.
Focuses on assessing all the services a person may need to get and keep housing, rather than leaving it up to residents to apply for various programs that they may or may not be eligible for. The new service delivery model will be presented to the SHHC in November 2019. The supports "Transforming Service" delivery.
Private Stock Strategy
Develops ideas and incentives for home owners and landlords to increase affordable housing within their homes or buildings. Recommendations are scheduled to go to the SHHC early 2020. Supports "Optimizing existing stock."
- Region of Peel's Housing Master Plan, Report to the Strategic Housing and Homelessness Committee, June 20, 2019. Endorsed by Council July 11, 2019 (PDF)
- View facts on housing and homelessness for more about our work to make affordable housing available to all residents and to prevent homelessness.
Email Peel Housing and Homelessness Plan if you have any questions.