The Regional Official Plan (ROP) is a long-term plan used to help us manage Peel's growth and development.
The ROP is important because:
- It gives Peel Regional Council a policy framework: a set of procedures and goals they can use to make decisions or manage other policies.
- It guides how Peel will grow and develop Peel while protecting the environment, managing resources and setting a structure that efficiently manages Peel's growth.
- It reflects Provincial legislation and policies while keeping Peel's distinct needs first-in-mind.
Keeping the ROP current
Peel Regional Council approved the ROP on October 22, 1996.
The Planning Act requires municipalities to update their official plans every 5 years. This requirement ensures that a municipality's official plan:
- Corresponds with provincial plans.
- Reflects what's also important to the Province.
- Is consistent with policy statements issued under the Act.
The Peel Region Official Plan is currently under review to bring our policies in step with provincial requirements.