Provincial Greenbelt plans
Including Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan and Niagara Escarpment Plan
Peel 2051 Draft MCR ROPA
On September 23, 2021 Regional Council endorsed proceeding to statutory open houses and public meeting. Please visit Upcoming Consultations for more info. The latest draft policies and mapping are available on the Draft policies and mapping page. Planning & Growth Management Committee will be meeting October 7, 2021. Please visit the Reading Room for access to materials.
Peel 2051 Community Survey
We want to hear from you. Complete this short survey to share your input on the future of Peel Region.
Email Regional Planning and Growth Management to join our notification list, stay up to date on the latest updates, upcoming meetings, and submit comments.
Many of Canada's most significant natural environments and scenic landscapes – including the Oak Ridges Moraine and the Niagara Escarpment – are in the Greater Golden Horseshoe.
These environments and landscapes provide:
- drinking water
- habitat for animals and plants
- recreational opportunities
- fertile soil for farming
The Province updated its 3 Greenbelt Plans in 2017. In keeping with these updates, we outlined proposed policy options in 3 discussion papers to ensure Regional compliance.
Peel 2041 proposed policies would:
- lessen the encroachment of urban development;
- ensure that the agricultural land base and significant landscapes, ecological and hydrological features and functions surrounding the Greater Golden Horseshoe are protected;
- revise and introduce new mapping to reflect updates to the provincial plans; and,
- direct local municipalities in protecting agricultural lands, enhancing natural features and areas, preserving cultural heritage and supporting recreation.
- Greenbelt Plan discussion paper (PDF)
- Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan discussion paper (PDF)
- Niagara Escarpment Plan discussion paper (PDF)
- Provincial greenbelt plans fact sheet (PDF)
For more information, email Regional Planning or call (905) 791-7800 ext. 1173.
- Age-friendly planning
- Aggregates resources and excess soil
- Agriculture and rural systems
- Climate change
- Greenlands system
- Growth management
- Health and the built environment
- Major transit station areas
- Other focus areas (including cultural heritage, Indigenous engagement, and waste management, and rural settlement boundary refinement)
- Provincial Greenbelt plans (including Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan and Niagara Escarpment Plan)
- Settlement area boundary expansion
- Wildland fires
- Water resources