About the Public Access Defibrillator (PAD) program
Making it easier for residents to provide CPR and defibrillation before paramedics arrive.
Early CPR and defibrillation are the only things that can save someone in sudden cardiac arrest.
In Peel, 1,400 people experience sudden cardiac arrest each year. 20% take place in public places where ordinary residents can help.
Every second counts for a cardiac arrest patient. Their chance of surviving decreases by 7 to 10% for each minute they’re left untreated. If you start CPR and use an AED within the first minute of them collapsing, their chance of surviving rises as high as 90%.
Peel Regional Paramedic Services is making it easier for residents to help someone experiencing sudden cardiac arrest by:
- Making more AEDs (automated external defibrillators) available in Peel. Since 2016, we've placed hundreds of AEDs in public places, together with the Greater Toronto Airport Authority, Brampton, Caledon, and Mississauga.
- Teaching people to recognize a cardiac emergency.
- Empowering people to use an AED and start CPR (and providing supports afterwards).
- Supporting organizations and businesses to develop, maintain, or improve their own PAD program.
- Identifying where AEDs are in Peel and when to use them.
- Maintaining an AED database linked to our 911 system.
- Investing in research that may improve cardiac save rates in Peel.
Email the PAD program for more information.
Programs and studies
We want more people in Peel to survive sudden cardiac arrest. Peel Regional Paramedic Services is investing in the following programs and studies.
The 5-year study is underway to see if using drones to deliver AEDs (automated external defibrillators) to bystanders can save more cardiac arrest victims.
Lay-Responder Support program
Support for anyone who’s performed CPR or used an AED (automated external defibrillator) in Peel.
Volunteer Community Responder program
The Volunteer Community Responder pilot program aims to see if crowdsourcing CPR can save more lives in Peel.