Bridge replacement and rehabilitation on King Street East, Bolton
Projects 15-4830 & 15-4840
November 16, 2023 – King St bridge construction is complete and King St at Humber Lea Rd is now accessible to traffic. This work has been underway since May 2023 and has wrapped up 2 weeks ahead of schedule. The project is under warranty until November 2025.
Why the bridge on King Street East at Humber Lea Road needs replacement
The King Street Bridge (east of Humber Lea Road) requires structural repairs. Life-cycle cost analysis found that replacing the bridge would have a lower long-term cost than repairing it. Replacement of the bridge addresses its structural deterioration, but also provides an opportunity for wider sidewalks, safety improvements and compliance with updated standards.
Why a full road closure is required
A full closure of the King Street bridge at Humber Lea Road will be required for the following reasons:
- There is not enough space to demolish and rebuild the bridge while leaving any of the existing bridge open.
- There are intersections at both ends of the bridge, which would make it challenging to safely control traffic sharing a single lane if half of the bridge was rebuilt at a time.
- Temporarily closing the bridge will best protect the safety of drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and construction workers.
- To protect the environment, it is only permitted to work in the Humber River at certain times of year, as per Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks regulations. It would take longer to rebuild half the bridge at a time, which would not allow the work to be completed within the permitted time period.
The Project Updates have the most recent details on bridge closure timelines and the detour maps outline alternate routes.
Rebuilding the King Street bridge at Humber Lea Road will include:
- Demolishing and removing the entire existing bridge,
- Constructing a new bridge.
The new bridge will have:
- Two lanes (one in each direction)
- More space separating the traffic lanes from the sidewalk
- Wider sidewalks on both sides of the bridge
- No expansion joints, which will increase the lifespan of the bridge and lower maintenance costs
- Pedestrian railings that comply with updated standards
- An expected lifespan of 75 years
Maintenance work will be completed on the other bridge on King Street East (just east of Old King Road) to extend the lifespan of the bridge. This work will require closing one lane of the bridge for a few days, but will not require closing the entire road.
Keeping you informed
Weather and other unpredictable events may change the timing of this construction and the associated traffic impacts. To receive timely project updates, sign up for email notices.
Follow Peel Public Works on Twitter for project updates.
Thank you for your patience as we complete this necessary work. If you have any questions, please contact us.
Roads - Design and Construction
Engineering Services Division
Public Works, Region of Peel
Phone: 905-791-7800 ext. 4409