Watermain replacement and improvemen
Britannia Road East, Shawson Drive and Westport Crescent. Project 14-1122
We have finished the work. The project is under warranty until February 2024.
What are we doing?
- Replacing and improving the aging watermain on Britannia Road East, Shawson Drive, and Westport Crescent, as shown on the attached map.
- Replacing the water service pipe to your service box.
- To upgrade the water system capacity and reliability as part of the Region of Peel’s State of Good Repair program.
- We have started work, beginning on Westport Crescent. We will be moving on to Shawson Drive and, ultimately, Britannia Road East.
- The project should be completed before the Fall of 2020. All work is under warranty for two years from the completion date.
- We will start restoring the road when all water system replacements and transfers are complete, and as weather permits.
Who can you call?
|Region of Peel|
|Contact Person||Responsibilities||Telephone Number|
|Sean Ballaro||Project Manager||905-791-7800, ext. 7917|
EXP Consulting, will manage Contract Administration and Inspection for the Region of Peel
Moretti Construction will do the work, under contract to the Region of Peel
- Our contractor’s normal working hours are typically from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. These hours are consistent with the local municipality’s bylaws. We understand this may cause some inconvenience, but a shorter working day would mean the project would take longer to complete.
Traffic and Parking Control
- We may need to reduce traffic to a single lane during construction.
- If we have to reroute traffic, we will place signs giving directions.
- On-street parking will be reduced during construction.
- Due to construction activities, we may need to block your driveway for a short time. We will contact you before we do this to arrange for the best time and for alternate access, if needed. If you need immediate access to your driveway, the contractor will have road plates available to quickly allow access in and out of your driveway.
- We will do our best to make sure businesses have access at all times.
- Please call the Contract Administrator if you have special needs related to access or business hours.
Irrigation or Sprinkler Systems
- Please tell the inspector if you have underground irrigation or a sprinkler system outside your property line.
- You may wish to move the sprinkler lines to inside your private property to avoid damage.
- If tree branches within the right-of-way interfere with construction, the contractor will have the trees pruned before equipment enters the drip line of the tree.
- If tree branches on private property interfere with construction, they will be pruned back to the nearest suitable trunk, crotch or branch.
- The contractor will ask you for permission before cutting any branches on private property. If you do not allow the contractor onto your property to trim the branches, the branches will be cut vertically at the property line.
Interrupting Your Water Supply
- It is our goal to let you know 48 hours (2 days) in advance if we need to shut off your water. Occasionally, we may have to reduce this notice to 24 hours.
- For water interruption during service transfers, the contractor will notify you the day of the transfer as this will be a brief interruption. This will ensure proper notification for short duration works.
- If we have to shut off your water because of an emergency, we will do everything we can to fix the problem as quickly as possible.
- Your garbage, recycling and organics containers will continue to be picked up on your regularly scheduled day. It is the contractor’s responsibility to move your garbage, recycling and organics bins to a location where our collection vehicles can pick them up. Empty containers will be returned to their corresponding addresses. Please make sure your address number is clearly marked on each bin.
- You may feel slight vibrations from the construction work.
Replacing and Taking Care of Your Sod
- The contractor will take care of any sod we replace for 30 days.
- You can help the sod to stay healthy by watering it for one hour in the early morning, two or three times a week. This is especially important in hot or dry weather.
- We will replace your sod as soon as we can, but there may be a short delay.
- It is very common for the work area to settle a bit following construction. If you notice any settlement, please let the project manager or inspector know and we will ensure the contractor fixes it.
Repairing Your Driveway
- If we need to cut your driveway to replace the existing service valve or access the watermain, we will repair the asphalt in the disturbed area from edge to edge across the driveway. Unfortunately the Region cannot completely replace your driveway.
- Several weeks before the driveway restoration work, we intend to send you an update with contact information for the contractor, in case you wish to have the remainder of your driveway (private side) paved at the same time.
- If you have any concerns, please call the Contract Administrator.
- We will repair your driveway as soon as we can, but there may be a short delay.
Repairing the Road, Curbs, and Sidewalks
- We will start restoring the road and boulevard once all replacements and service transfers are complete and as weather permits.
- We will complete the restoration on a street-by-street basis.
- The Region of Peel will always let you know if there are any major changes to the plans.
- We will try to disturb you as little as possible.
- Please call the project manager or inspector if you have any concerns or special needs.
How Did We Do?
- After we’ve finished, we will give you a postage-paid card for you to rate our work.
- Please complete the card and mail it back to us.