Peel Region homepage
Peel Region

Watermain replacement and improvement

Kawartha Crescent, Chippewa Trail, Geran Crescent, and Almira Court. Project 20-1310 F

What we're doing

Replacing and improving the aging watermain along Kawartha Crescent, Chippewa Trail, Geran Crescent, and Almira Court as shown on the attached map.

Replacing the water service pipe to your service box.


To upgrade the water system capacity and reliability as part of the Region of Peel's State of Good Repair program.


We expect to start work on or about April 12th, 2021 starting at Kawartha Crescent and Fleet Street.

The project should be completed by October 15th, 2021. All work is under warranty for two years from the completion date.

We will start restoring the road when all water system replacements and transfers are complete, and as weather permits.

Sign up for email notices to stay informed

Receive timely project updates right to your inbox by signing up for e-notices

Contractor and Working Hours

This work will be performed by Vic’s Group Inc. under contract to the Region of Peel.

This contractor’s normal working hours are from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. These hours are consistent with the local municipality’s bylaws. We understand this may cause some inconvenience, but a shorter working day would mean the project would take longer to complete.

Traffic and Parking Control

We may need to reduce traffic to a single lane during construction.

If we have to reroute traffic, we will place signs giving directions.

On-street parking will be reduced during construction.

Driveway Access

Due to construction activities, we may need to block your driveway for a short time. We will contact you before we do this to arrange for the best time and for alternate access, if needed. If your driveway is blocked, you may choose to park on a side street for a short time. If you need immediate access to your driveway, the contractor will have road plates available to quickly allow access in and out of your driveway.

Please contact us if you have special needs related to access or business hours.

Irrigation or Sprinkler Systems

Please contact us or tell the construction inspector onsite if you have underground irrigation or a sprinkler system outside your property line.

You may wish to move the sprinkler lines to inside your private property to avoid damage.

Trimming trees

If tree branches within the right-of-way interfere with construction, the contractor will have the trees pruned before equipment enters the drip line of the tree.

If tree branches on private property interfere with construction, they will be pruned back to the nearest suitable trunk, crotch or branch.

The contractor will ask you for permission before cutting any branches on private property. If you do not allow the contractor onto your property to trim the branches, the branches will be cut vertically at the property line.

Interrupting Your Water Supply

It is our goal to let you know 48 hours (2 days) in advance if we need to shut off your water. Occasionally, we may have to reduce this notice to 24 hours.

For water interruption during service transfers, the contractor will notify you the day of the transfer as this will be a brief interruption. This will ensure proper notification for short duration works.

If we have to shut off your water because of an emergency, we will do everything we can to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Waste collection

Your garbage, recycling and organics containers will continue to be picked up on your regularly scheduled day. It is the contractor’s responsibility to move your garbage, recycling and organics bins to a location where our collection vehicles can pick them up. Empty containers will be returned to their corresponding addresses. Please make sure your house number is clearly marked on each bin.


You may feel slight vibrations from the construction work.

Replacing and Taking Care of Your Sod

The contractor will take care of any sod we replace for 30 days.

You can help the sod to stay healthy by watering it for one hour in the early morning, two or three times a week. This is especially important in hot or dry weather.

We will replace your sod as soon as we can, but there may be a short delay.

It is very common for the work area to settle a bit following construction. If you notice any settlement, please contact us and we will ensure the contractor fixes it.

Repairing Your Driveway

If we need to cut your driveway to replace the existing service valve or access the watermain, we will repair the asphalt in the disturbed area from edge to edge across the driveway. Unfortunately, the Region cannot completely replace your driveway.

Once we have finished our construction, it is your decision whether you want to have your entire driveway repaved. This extra paving work is your responsibility. If you choose to do nothing, we will only repair the areas damaged by our construction.

If you have any concerns, please contact us.

We will repair your driveway as soon as we can, but there may be a short delay.

Repairing the Road, Curbs, and Sidewalks

We will start restoring the road and boulevard once all replacements and service transfers are complete and as weather permits.

We will complete the restoration on a street-by-street basis.

Private-side Servicing

We will replace the water service pipe to your service box (the round valve near the property line).

As the pipe between the service box and the building is probably the same age and condition as the watermain, you may wish to replace it to ensure a constant supply of high-quality drinking water to your tap. This is the property owner’s responsibility; the Region cannot do this work for you.

Information on replacing the private-side water service.

Project Updates

The Region of Peel will always let you know if there are any major changes to the plans.

We will try to disturb you as little as possible.

Please contact us if you have any concerns or special needs.

Questions or concerns

Email Construction

Call 905-791-7800 extension 4409

How did we do

After we’ve finished, we will give you a postage-paid card for you to provide feedback on the construction project. Please complete the card and mail it back to us.

You can also sign up to receive this survey electronically by clicking ‘Sign up for email notices’.