Hwy 427 extension and Peel regional road network improvements
The Region of Peel has been working with MTO and York Region on the recent Highway 427 expansion to Major Mackenzie Road, east of Hwy 50.
The Highway 427 Extension will relieve significant traffic away from Highway 50 and the surrounding road network.
The Region is closely monitoring traffic volumes on Highway 50, Coleraine Drive and Mayfield Road and has taken steps to adjust signal timing, to ensure that the traffic flows stay optimized, given the recent opening of the extension and widening of Major Mackenzie Road.
The Region has a comprehensive plan to manage future volumes of traffic in the area through upcoming road improvement plans.
Future road improvement plans include:
- Widening of Highway 50 between Castlemore Drive and Mayfield Road.
- Widening of Coleraine Drive to four lanes south of Mayfield Road. The Region has recently assumed jurisdiction of Coleraine Drive from the City of Brampton and Town of Caledon.
- Constructing a new 6-lane arterial road connecting Major Mackenzie Road and Mayfield Road.
- The undertaking of a planning study with City of Brampton for the north-east quadrant of Brampton to facilitate the development of the area. This study will guide the design of the road network in the area of the Highway 427 Extension.
These projects will take place over the next 5-7 years and will significantly enhance the road network and address future traffic needs for the travelling public.
Peel-Highway 427 Extension Transportation Master Plan
The Peel-Highway 427 Extension Master Plan is a study examining how the extension of Highway 427 will affect roadway requirements in Peel.
Some of the issues addressed in the study include:
- Commuter traffic and goods movements.
- Improving existing roads.
- The construction of a new road connecting Mayfield Road and Major Mackenzie Drive.
- A new study of the extension of Highway 427 beyond Major Mackenzie Drive.
Summary of Recommendations
The study recommends:
- A new road link in the Region of Peel to manage traffic to and from the Highway 427 Extension Area.
- Road improvements in Peel, including both road widening and new road connections.
- Confirming York-Peel boundary area network connections.
Additional Highway 427 Extension Resources
The Ministry of Transportation started the 427 Corridor EA to support the concepts described in the Province on Ontario's Growth Plan.
The Regional Municipality of York is working to find - and develop options to fix - transportation issues in Western Vaughan.
For more information about the Peel-Highway 427 Extension Transportation Master Plan, please contact:
Manager, Transportation System Planning
Transportation Planning, Public Works
Region of Peel
10 Peel Centre Dr., Suite B, 4th Floor
Brampton, ON L6T 4BV9
Phone: 905-791-7800 ext. 4352