A-Z List | Accessible Info | Careers | Contact Us

Images from Peel Region Public Works on Twitter
Water and Wastewater

Getting your property connected to the Region of Peel Municipal Drinking Water System

A step-by-step guide to help you through the process of getting connected to municipal drinking water.

Step 1 – Contact the Region of Peel Records Department

  • The Records Department will check to see if there is already a municipal drinking water system set up near your property that can be connected.
  • If an existing system is found, the Records Department will give you drawings to showing the details needed. Proceed to Step 2.
  • If there is no existing system found, you will need to contact the Region of Peel Program Planning, State of Good Repair group to determine if you qualify for local improvement. Learn about the local improvement process
  • If you qualify for local improvement, Program Planning will outline the cost and process.

  • Contact the Records Department at:
    pwservicerequests@peelregion.ca or call 905-791-7800 ext. 7882

Step 2 – Contact the Site Plan Servicing Department

  • You will need to submit the drawings you were given in step 1 to the Site Plan Servicing Department for review and approval.
  • You will be asked to pay a fee (under the current Fees By-law) when you submit your request.
  • If your request is approved, you will receive a connection receipt and can now move on to step 3.

  • Contact the Site Plan Servicing Department at:
    siteplanservicing@peelregion.ca or call 905-791-7800 ext. 7973

Step 3 – Contact your municipality's building department

Step 4 – Hire a licensed plumber

Step 5 – Schedule a private side inspection

  • Contact your local municipality to schedule a private side inspection.
  • If you were using a private well for your water, you will need to give written confirmation that the well has been disconnected.
  • If you want to keep your private well, for irrigation purposes for example, your local municipality must confirm that a proper backflow prevention device has been installed. This will prevent the potential for cross-contamination.
  • The Region will not install a water meter and supply your property with municipal water until we confirm that a backflow prevention device has been installed. This work needs to be completed by a licensed plumber in agreement with CSA standards and approved by your local municipality.

Read our Backflow Prevention Bylaw for more information about backflow prevention devices. You can also contact your local municipality.

Step 6 – Contact the Region of Peel Metering Department

  • Contact the Metering Department to have a water meter installed. A water meter ensures you are being billed properly for water.
  • The installation can only take place if you have passed the private side inspection in Step 5.

  • Contact the Metering Department at:
    meteroperations@peelregion.ca or call 905-791-7800 ext. 3226

Step 7 – Have your private well decommissioned for free

Contact Infrastructure and Studies, Groundwater and Growth at: 
sourcewater@peelregion.ca or call 905-791-7800 ext. 4685

Revised: Monday December 17 2018


Home | Contact Us | Search | A-Z Topic List
Privacy | Service Commitment

Smaller Text Larger Text