To report flooding on roads and in your neighbourhood please call 3-1-1. In Caledon, call 905-584-2272, ext. 4238.
If you think there’s a problem with your sanitary sewer pipe, call the Region at 905-791-7800. Our 24 hour sewer back-up service helps identify sewer problems.
What to do if your basement floods
If you have insurance, immediately contact your insurer. They will recommend a qualified contractor to evaluate and restore any damages.
If you don’t have insurance, consider contacting a restoration contractor. An experienced contractor can help evaluate the damages and advise you on what to do next.
If your basement has flooded:
- Watch for electrical hazards around the affected area, since water conducts electricity.
- Watch for health hazards around the affected area. Water can carry bacteria that may affect health. Wear proper safety clothing.
- Pump out or drain any standing water. Your insurer may suggest a company to provide this service.
- Find an accredited restoration contractor to inspect or remove building finishes and contents that have been under water or have absorbed water.
- Try to prevent mould from growing by properly drying areas and objects that have water damage.
- Take photos of the affected area before removing anything.
What you can do to protect your property
Protect your home and the sanitary system:
- Check your insurance policy. Home insurance policies do not always include “Sewer back-up” or “Broad Water” coverage, so be sure that your property is completely covered.
- Ensure that your lot grading directs water away from your foundation.
- Repair any cracks or holes in the basement walls or floors.
- Disconnect downspouts to send water onto your lawn and away from your home.
- Use a rain barrel to collect rainwater.
- Remove things that could collapse or damage your pipes, such as tree roots.
- Keep fats, oils, greases and other small items out of your drain. These items can accumulate and cause blockages.
Get more details on preventing and recovering from flooding:
- Understanding types of flooding and basement flood reduction
- Understanding the difference between sanitary and storms systems