Free Family Literacy Workshops
We offer free family literacy workshops for families with children. Learn how to support your child with reading, writing and numbers.
We offer these workshops in English, Mandarin, Arabic, Punjabi and French.
Watch the video to learn more about our family literacy workshops:
For more information or to sign-up by phone, call 905-791-1585 ext. 7222 (Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.).
To sign-up online for a workshop in your community, use the Family Literacy Location Map.
Promoting Reading and Writing at Home
Literacy Fun Cards
Download our 15 Minutes of Family Literacy Fun Cards to help you encourage your child to read at home.
Listen to Children's Stories
We encourage you to use technology to support reading and writing at home. Here are some YouTube video examples of stories that you can watch and listen to with your child:
- The Dot by Peter H. Reynolds (3.45) Age: 5-6 years
- Good Night Moon by Margaret Wise Brown (4.55) Age: 3-5 years
- The Mitten by Jan Brett (2.32) Age: 4-5 years
American Sign Language (ASL)
- Oh the Thinks You Can Think by Dr. Seuss (5.27) Age: 2-5 years
- La Oruga Muy Hambrienta by Eric Carle (2.32) Age: 4-6 years