Region of Peel Early Learning & Child Care Service System Update on Transition Supports: August 8, 2013
Dear Community Partners,
Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC) in Peel continues to transform as part of larger provincial modernization efforts.
Increased Provincial and reinvested Regional funding for ELCC in Peel has resulted in many exciting opportunities for licensed child care – all translating to better outcomes for our children and families. One particularly exciting outcome is that we are now able to serve children in need of fee subsidy in “real time”!
The Region of Peel has identified 2013 and 2014 as transitional years for funding while we develop longer term local funding policies in accordance with the new Provincial funding guidelines. These guidelines also identify support for the non-profit sector as a key focus of a new General Operating Expense category which will be included in our policy development.
Peel will be establishing a Provider Reference Group to help inform the development of our funding model for 2015 and beyond and will be seeking cross sector representation from our current child care networks so please stay tuned.
Today’s service system update focuses on the transitional supports available to assist you as providers in your own efforts to stabilize operations in response to the ongoing impact of Full-Day Kindergarten.
The following initiatives are available to all eligible licensed child care operators
Enhanced Professional Education and Quality Initiatives
Business Planning Supports
Use the Peel Data Centre for population and child care demand forecasts as well as neighbourhood-level information to assist you with your planning needs:
2013 Repairs & Maintenance (formerly Health & Safety) and Play-Based Materials & Equipment Funding
- Current applicants will be notified of approved 2013 funding by the end of August
- Applications will be considered annually (476 were received in 2013)
Supports for Wages During Transition Years
- Current wage subsidy and improvement payments will continue in 2013 and 2014 (while a general operating funding policy is developed for 2015 and beyond)
The following initiative is available to non-profit licensed child care operators
Transition Supports for Non-Profit Licensed Operators
Transition supports to help stabilize non-profit child care providers is available and is in accordance with Provincial guidelines which outline both targeted funding and focused consideration for local operating funding:
- 120 applications were received for 2013 Capital Retrofit (to serve 0-3.8) and Transformation (IT costs, merging etc.) funding; approval notifications will be sent by the end of August 2013
- A new one-time 2013 Transition Operating Grant (TOG) will also be made available to supplement stabilization efforts directed to this sector
- TOG will also help operators to transition to serving younger age groups
- Non-profit agencies will receive more information shortly outlining eligible expenses (e.g. lease, occupancy, utility costs) and reporting requirements
A special thanks to those non-profit providers who helped inform this interim transition grant
In closing, I wish to note that the next meeting of the Region of Peel Early Learning and Child Care Task Force is October 31, 2013 at which time the new Special Needs Strategy and Peel Inclusion Resource Model will be presented. We wish to thank each of you who supported this work through your participation in focus groups or on the advisory committee. Your continued contributions will be important as we move forward with the implementation phase once the model is approved.
If you have any questions regarding the information in this update, please contact Gunta Jurevics-Lawson, Manager, Early Learning Services at 905-791-7800, ext. 3809 or myself at the contact information listed below. As well, your Purchase of Service Analyst is also available to support you throughout this whole transition process and I encourage you to consult with them at any time.
Director, Service System Management Division
Human Services Department
Region of Peel
10 Peel Centre Dr., Suite B, 5th Floor
Brampton, ON L6T OE3
Tel: 905 791 7800 Ext: 7242
Fax: 905 861 9079
[ Full-day Early Learning Home ]
[ Top ]
Friday August 09 2013