Our Dental Services
What We Do
Did you get a Healthy Smiles Ontario parent Notification Form (PNF) Instructions Emergency and Essential Servcies Stream Form?
Learn what it’s for and what to do next.
Dental Screening for Kids
The Peel Public Health Dental Program for children offers the following dental services:
In order for children to enrol in the Peel Public Health Dental Program, they must first be screened to determine if they are eligible for these dental services.
- A dental screening involves a visual check of the child's mouth by a Region of Peel registered dental hygienist.
- The dental screening will determine if your child is eligible for the Peel Dental Services:
- Emergency and Essential Services Stream
financial help for kids in need of urgent dental treatments
- Preventive Dental Services
dental cleaning, pit and fissure sealants, and professionally applied topical fluoride
Where can my child get a dental screening?
Dental screening is provided at the child's elementary school or at a Peel Public Health Dental Screening Clinic.
Elementary school dental screening
Ontario's public health units provide free routine dental screening to some students in elementary schools. This helps to identify children who may:
- be in need of emergency and/or essential care
- benefit from preventive dental services
If your child needs dental care, a letter will be sent home and eligible children will receive dental services under Healthy Smiles Ontario.
Before the school screening, you'll receive a letter so your child can opt out if you don't want your child(ren) to participate.
Contact your child's school to find out when a registered dental hygienist will be visiting your child's school.
Dental screening clinics
Peel Public Health Dental Screening Clinics provide dental screening to children who:
- Were not screened in their elementary school.
- Are not yet in elementary school (i.e. preschoolers).
- Missed their elementary school dental screening.
- Are in high school or out of school and under 18 years of age.
Contact Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700 to book an appointment for a dental screening.
Preventive Dental Services
Preventing tooth decay is very important to your child’s overall health. Preventive dental services help prevent dental problems and keep teeth healthy.
It’s important that all children have the opportunity to know how to maintain healthy teeth and gums. Dental care can be very costly, and not all families have dental insurance or access to preventive services.
Preventive services are provided by Region of Peel dental staff to those children who qualify.
Children aged 0-17 living in the Region of Peel must first receive a dental screening at one of Peel’s Public Health Dental Screening Clinics to determine if they are eligible for these services. Preventive services are free to children in the Region of Peel who qualify.
Qualifying for preventive dental services
Children may qualify for the preventive dental services if:
- They lives in Peel.
- They are between 0-17 years of age.
- The cost of going to the dentist is too expensive for the family.
Preventive dental services for children:
Mobile Dental Clinic
- Include dental cleaning, pit and fissure sealants, and professionally applied topical fluoride provided by a Peel Public Health registered dental hygienist.
- Include information on proper brushing and flossing and
healthy eating provided by acertified dental assistant.
- Are currently provided at various clinic locations and on
the Mobile Dental Clinic.
In 2006, The Region of Peel introduced a groundbreaking Mobile Dental Clinic to Peel Public Health's range of dental services.
The Mobile Dental Clinic:
- Is a converted 28 foot recreational vehicle.
- Travels throughout Mississauga, Brampton and Caledon to various community locations (such as malls, religious centres and community centres) so children and their caregivers don’t have
to travel long distances for dental services.
- Operates May to October.
Dental Education in Peel
Teacher’s Dental Education Resource Kits
Peel Public Health offers two versions of “Keeping Smiles Bright in Peel: A Teacher’s Dental Education Resource Kit”.
- Keeping Smiles Bright in Peel: Series 1 is designed for children in Kindergarten and grade 1.
- Keeping Smiles Bright in Peel: Series 2 is designed for children in grades 2 and 3.
Each Keeping Smiles Bright in Peel teacher’s kit includes:
- A binder of curriculum-driven lesson plans
- Activity sheets
- Song CD
- Teeth and brush model
- Various hands-on tools
Borrowing a Kit
Call Region of Peel - Public Health at 905-799-7700 to find out where to sign out a kit.