State of the Region's Health Report 2002 - Focus on Asthma - Chapter Two
Asthma in the Region of Peel.
- More than 90,000 Peel residents, including close to 19,000 children under 12 years of age, have asthma.
- In 2000-01, 8.3% of Peel residents aged 12 and older reported a physician had diagnosed them with asthma.
- Hospitalization rates for asthma are declining. In 2000 in Peel, there were 1,200 asthma-related hospitalizations.
- Since 1997, hospitalization rates for asthma in Peel have been slightly higher than provincial rates.
- In the ten years from 1987 to 1996, there were 85 deaths caused by asthma in Peel. Mortality rates for asthma are highest in the population aged 65 years and older.
Chapter Two - Asthma in the Region of Peel
(PDF file 85 KB)