Creating Supportive Environments for Healthy Living in Peel 2012
In our most recent strategic plan, we highlighted the increasing prevalence of obesity in children and adults, and committed ourselves to addressing the underlying issues driving physical inactivity, unhealthy eating and sedentary behaviours.
We are compelled to act to address this threat to the health of current and future generations. Based on available evidence and expert recommendations, we have identified a set of principles to guide us moving forward and developed a portfolio of initiatives for us to initially pursue. The message we have agreed upon is profoundly simple: EAT and MOVE.
This report includes the following sections and chapters. Click on the links below to navigate direcly to the section within the PDF:
- Executive Summary
- Table of Contents
- The Public Health Way
- Assessing the Situation
- Shifting the Conceptual Framework – Rethinking our Approach to Healthy Eating, Physical Activity and Healthy Living
- Developing a Framework for Action
- Appendix 1 – Additional Detail on the Causal Links Between Selected Modifiable Risk Factors and Chronic Diseases
- Appendix 2 – Foresight Obesity System Map
- Appendix 3 – Calculation of Changes in Food Prices Over Time
- Appendix 4 – Identifying Themes within Existing Recommendations
- Appendix 5 – Prioritization of Recommendations for Public Health Action
- Appendix 6 – More Detailed Strategy Diagram
- Data References
To read or download a complete copy, the report is available in PDF format: Changing Course: Creating Supportive Environments for Healthy Living in Peel 2012 (4.7MB, 95 pages)
To save the PDF to disk, right click on the link above and choose "Save Target As..." from the menu.
Peel Health has also published several other reports on important health issues and trends in the Region of Peel.